Flooded on Sanibel

I have (had?) a 2002 E825 on Sanibel. It was our going to the beach car and we loved it. It was submerged in 6 ft of water during Ian. I had considered making this a project car and upgrading the motor/batteries/brakes/wheels/tires. I not sure I want to put any money into the cart after that kind of water. I have two questions for the forum. Would it be a bad idea putting money into a cart that was submerged in 6 ft of sea water? If I need to get rid of the cart is there a golf cart/LSV salvage in SW FL that will come get it?

This is a tough one.
I hate to see a car get scrapped, but to get it back running will take quite a bit of work and cash.

It might depend on what was done to it after it was submerged. If you got to it right away and gave it a complete freshwater wash/flush and maybe a good spray of diesel or a complete dip in WD-40 there might be a chance to salvage some of the components but if it was a while before you got out there and with limited resources directed elsewhere I doubt the car was such a high priority.

I started to list the things that would need swapping and the list was growing huge.

Instead, it would be shorter to list the items that might be salvaged.
Gearbox? - If flushed out with new oil and checked.
Motor - If flushed out right away. will need a rebuild.
Drive axles - How are the boots?
Windshield -
DC Converter - If updated Surepower unit.
Was Charger updated to DQ? Pull the lid off and check for water. If Zivan- It will be toast.

IF you get this running, it may not be very reliable as EVERY connection will be in question. From the charger plug to the Brake light holder, The Accel pedal to the Blinker switch.

Far better to cut your losses now and go look for a deal on a Gen 2 car from out of state.

It’s a 2002. Ask @jrjava :wink:

3 Likes

Im working in a flooded Moke From Ian.

I took it as a project from a client to learn,
so far I’ve replaced

Main harness hv with fuse box
12v harness with fusebox that goes all the way to the tail lights
Dc dc converter
Speed controller
Charger
Motor had to be opened and I’ve saved it
Phase wires
Gearbox rebuild
Throttle
Dashboard
FR stick shift
Batteries
Brake pedal switch
Key switch

Still missing

Headlights
Tail lights led
Stereo
Brakes
Power steering

if your gem was newer it could make sense to fix but being a 2002 you should let it go and start fresh with a newer model. 2006 and up you’ll have better brakes better suspension and overall
A better ride, easy to work car.

Now @jrjava can give you his opinion :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

hmm, do you have any dry dynamite? :wink:

But hey, glass, body panels, trunkback, skylight and tires/wheels could be useful to others.
Rodney might need a motor to rebuild and have in stock depending on which one is in there.
Aluminum frame is worth something at recycle center.

Sorry for your loss. You might contact Nick at goelectricavenue. He’s always picking up parts cars.

@Razrbx

So in order to answer your questions, we need some background information first.

Is this cart sentimental to you?
Was it salvaged with a tractor or bulldozer?
Do you have access to a large supply of cardboard or newspaper to dry it out?
Do you have access to hydrogen peroxide and silver?
Do you own any guns?
Is this a 2000 to 2004 gem?

If you answered yes, to any of the above you should shoot it, light it on fire, crush it with a bulldozer and shoot the pieces into a decaying orbit around the sun.

2 Likes

But where does the sentimental part factor in?
Does he get to save the wiper arm for the garage wall?

The steering wheel.

I appreciate the feedback (and the humor). I’m going to have it towed off.

You made a difficult choice, probably the right one. My E2 wasn’t sunk, but I’ve spent a lot of time repairing electrics on a big boat that sunk only for a short time in fresh-water. It is a huge time and money sink, and not as gratifying as you might hope for those investments. Kudos, now you can move on and have fun on your next beach transport.