Fix: My car did not come with keys [2009 e2s]

Disclaimer - I submit my success by chance it may help others. Obviously- YMMV.

Like others that have posted here, when I acquired my car it did not come with keys. If you read through the archives, the outlook seems fairly grim at getting replacements.

As noted in other posts the Napa replacement makes sense and seems to work just fine.

In my case, my 3 main(user?) locksets were still all original and printed with the same number stamped on them.

On a whim I removed my locksets and ran them over to my favorite local locksmith. He used the “impression method” (look it up) and made me a new set of keys- 3 for $15. The blank he found was the exact same as the ford think. The blank is marked ilco 1623 TM15.

He did a great job. The same key works in the column, the little glove box flap, and the cover on the fuse/breaker panel.

The T handle on the back of the cab (for the rear accessory release) is different key and I haven’t pulled that out yet to get a key made for it. (it’s on the list)

Personally, I am not sure I even like the switch on the pod. It might be better on the dash and I might just move it. Some others have even just put a flip/pushbutton switch on the dash and called it done. I kinda like the idea as long as it is hidden or disguised.

One added thought. If anyone has a GC172 lock that they need a key for I could send you one to see if it works.

2 Likes