New Keys?

If I remember correctly, I read somewhere on the forum that other than the dealer, getting keys made for our GEMS was next to impossible. Is this true?
I only ask because I had no problem getting mine copied and I’ll pass on the info if needed.
John

I have changed several of ours to NAPA universal key switches sold though their Echlin line. Their are two switches, either of which will fit and cost under $15. The keys are a generic type that any locksmith can duplicate. The Italian made Medeco lock from GEM is over $150 and uses keys our 30 year locksmith cannot find. The part numbers can be found here:

http://www.electricforum.com/cars/neighborhood-vehicles/2626-lists-alternative-superseded-parts.html

Daniel

[quote=GEMmechanic;22325]I have changed several of ours to NAPA universal key switches sold though their Echlin line. Their are two switches, either of which will fit and cost under $15. The keys are a generic type that any locksmith can duplicate. The Italian made Medeco lock from GEM is over $150 and uses keys our 30 year locksmith cannot find. The part numbers can be found here:

http://www.electricforum.com/cars/neighborhood-vehicles/2626-lists-alternative-superseded-parts.html

Daniel[/quote]

Hey Daniel,
I don’t know why your lock smith couldn’t find a blank that would work. I took my key to Home Depot and got a key made no problem. He used an E80 (by there code) and it works fine. He said it was most often used as a mail box key. hope this might help those looking for duplicate keys.
John

John

Trunk and dash keys are common but ignition key is not available in our area. I changed out the switch on my last cart to NAPA. NOTE: NAPA switch is much sturdier than OEM.

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;22331]John

Trunk and dash keys are common but ignition key is not available in our area. I changed out the switch on my last cart to NAPA. NOTE: NAPA switch is much sturdier than OEM.[/quote]

Interesting, my ignition key is the same as my glove box and the lock on the fusebox. I don’t have a trunk because I have the eS. I would have thought they all would be the same.