First project

I’m an EE so I expect I’ll do a lot of the stuff myself, but I’m not likely to build the motor or the batteries. I’ve been reading this entire forum category, and probably just haven’t found the answers yet.

When I look at my driving needs, I seem to drive either just a few miles or about 100 miles one way. I guess that’s the result of living in the boondocks.

I already have a Prius, but the short trips are killer. Barely get the engine temperature up, and I’m done. The Prius mileage can be in the 30s in the winter for the short trips to the Post Office, market etc. On the other hand, the Prius is always over 50mpg on the longer trips.

This moment, I’m looking at an '86 SR5 or a '95 S10 as the donor. Seems like the SR5 would work better for the local version, since comfort is less an issue. Both are cheap because the engine is shot. I’d prefer a 4x4, but with all the battery weight, a 2wd will probably do the job for my steep driveway and occasional snow.

Even the local version needs to go 65, since the driveway dumps onto a state highway. Here’s some questions:

1. Can I get to 100mi range by just adding batteries (or using LI)?
  2. Is there any way that solar panels can provide a re-charge if a few days of sun is available? Most of the conversions I’ve seen use panels for the 12v system only.
  3. Do I need 144v for the 65mph speed?

Sorry for the elementary questions.

[QUOTE=jgurley;5726]I’m an EE so I expect I’ll do a lot of the stuff myself, but I’m not likely to build the motor or the batteries. I’ve been reading this entire forum category, and probably just haven’t found the answers yet.

When I look at my driving needs, I seem to drive either just a few miles or about 100 miles one way. I guess that’s the result of living in the boondocks.

I already have a Prius, but the short trips are killer. Barely get the engine temperature up, and I’m done. The Prius mileage can be in the 30s in the winter for the short trips to the Post Office, market etc. On the other hand, the Prius is always over 50mpg on the longer trips.

This moment, I’m looking at an '86 SR5 or a '95 S10 as the donor. Seems like the SR5 would work better for the local version, since comfort is less an issue. Both are cheap because the engine is shot. I’d prefer a 4x4, but with all the battery weight, a 2wd will probably do the job for my steep driveway and occasional snow.

Even the local version needs to go 65, since the driveway dumps onto a state highway. Here’s some questions:

1. Can I get to 100mi range by just adding batteries (or using LI)?
  2. Is there any way that solar panels can provide a re-charge if a few days of sun is available? Most of the conversions I’ve seen use panels for the 12v system only.
  3. Do I need 144v for the 65mph speed?

Sorry for the elementary questions.[/QUOTE]

1. Yes but it will be expensive LIFEP04 is probably the only practical solution

2. Not on the car

3. Depends of the motor but the lower the voltage the higher the current so at large KW as will be needed for 65MPH 144 volts is a good balance between voltage and current. I personally would go for a higher voltage to keep the current down wire is heavy and expensive.

[QUOTE=markcycle;5734]1) Yes but it will be expensive LIFEP04 is probably the only practical solution

1. Not on the car

2. Depends of the motor but the lower the voltage the higher the current so at large KW as will be needed for 65MPH 144 volts is a good balance between voltage and current. I personally would go for a higher voltage to keep the current down wire is heavy and expensive.[/QUOTE]

were the same…i agree with you markycycle

Hybrid Cards