Error -43

error -43… I have replaced all 6 batteries with trojun 1275s… then i still had an issue, so people thought it was my controller… i just had it rebuilt for $353 from FSIP in PA. plugged it all back up, (have a constant buzzing–even when brake on) and cart wont move… have error -43 which says controller.

i just want to play golf!!! any thoughts… i have emailed FSIP and no reply yet.

thanks

je

I think not anyone help you!

i dont understand your question…

[QUOTE=jrejr2345;15489]error -43… I have replaced all 6 batteries with trojun 1275s… then i still had an issue, so people thought it was my controller… i just had it rebuilt for $353 from FSIP in PA. plugged it all back up, (have a constant buzzing–even when brake on) and cart wont move… have error -43 which says controller.

i just want to play golf!!! any thoughts… i have emailed FSIP and no reply yet.

thanks

je[/QUOTE]Did they do anything to the controller’s programming? An error 43 is an error which could be explained by a bad armature winding or worn out brushes.

Specifically, error 43 says:
This status code will be displayed when the value of
motor amps is less than 117 (corresponding to 2.3
volts) with no current flowing in the motor circuit.

I’d disconnect the motor and test the armature and field windings as you slowly rotate the motor. Any bad armature windings will show as an open circuit as you rotate to the commutator contacts to the right position.

I’m certainly not an experienced GEM or GE controller technician but I do dabble in GE T-2 controller settings for my GEM so I might have a little more info than the average user.

they were just supposed to rebuild it. had some issues when I replaced the batteries… that’s all I know. no updates that I am aware of. I will see what I can find out from them. thanks

another thought or question. my mech and I noticed the silanoid (sp) that usually CLICKS when the cart sets for a sec ( I assume to conserve battery) does NOTHING now… would that be a controller issues too… I am pretty sure I have a T-1 controller.

The main contactor or its driver on the controller could be bad. It’s a 72 volt coil which should click as soon as you turn the key on and stay on unless you stop for 30-60 seconds. If the controller is bad, you may not be getting the contactor’s activation signal. Or if the contactor is bad it might not be making contact when commanded to which could cause the error you’re seeing.

Check the contactor’s coil for resistance. I don’t know what it should read but it should not show infinite resistance.

[QUOTE=bob.peloquin;15674]The main contactor or its driver on the controller could be bad. It’s a 72 volt coil which should click as soon as you turn the key on and stay on unless you stop for 30-60 seconds. If the controller is bad, you may not be getting the contactor’s activation signal. Or if the contactor is bad it might not be making contact when commanded to which could cause the error you’re seeing.

Check the contactor’s coil for resistance. I don’t know what it should read but it should not show infinite resistance.[/QUOTE]

thanks… I will share this with my mech and we will call the people that rebuilt this controller… FSIP…

[quote=bob.peloquin;15674]The main contactor or its driver on the controller could be bad. It’s a 72 volt coil which should click as soon as you turn the key on and stay on unless you stop for 30-60 seconds. If the controller is bad, you may not be getting the contactor’s activation signal. Or if the contactor is bad it might not be making contact when commanded to which could cause the error you’re seeing.

Check the contactor’s coil for resistance. I don’t know what it should read but it should not show infinite resistance.[/quote]

ok… i had the controller rebuilt again… -43 is gone, (thing still doesnt click like it did) and now that i have the new controller in i have -16… says HIGH voltage and to run the lights… have tried that…

thanks

Sounds like you’ve STILL got problems. The contactor closes when the key is first turned on and will time-out with no throttle input after a delay (20-30 seconds?).

There are several different models and firmware versions for these GE motor controllers. I suspect Flight Systems may have rebuilt the controller but didn’t put in the correct firmware, settings or parts. Standard forklift controllers and golf cart controllers are usually either 36 or 48 volts. You can’t swap them between different voltage ranges. I’d be on the phone with the Flight Systems’ technical people to see if they gave you the wrong controller or incorrectly programmed it.

Another problem on older GEMs is the DC converter. What year is your GEM? Some early ones have a problem with corrosion of the “open” style circuit board and that can cause all sorts of issues as most signals go through this board. On the 2000-2004 it’s called a “AUX Board” and contains the DC-DC converter and signal conditioners for several internal things like the backup alarm etc. I suppose it could be causing troubles.

When you say you get the -16 error, what do you measure for voltage at the power input on the motor-controller? It’s supposed to take over 86 volts to cause that error. Do you have a hand-held programmer or a cable and laptop with GE Sentry on it? You may need this (or your mechanic may need it) to troubleshoot the problem.