E81 in my POLARIS GEM E4

yes it can be the reason maybe it only see half of pulses some times
and act like a magic magnet

Hello, tested som DIY magnets and still not working. The problem I’m sure it’s from inside controller.
At home, if the engine it’s running showing error 81 in the screen and running with half speed, adter 2 min the cable from A it’s super hot.
There is any possibility to check controller with the lX handset?

Thanks

Nope. The IX Handsets only talk to T1 and T2 controllers with the sperate serial port.

There are actually two large Orange A cables going from your controller down to your motor (A2 and A2). If one is hot, then the other should also be hot.

Is the whole cable actually hot? Or just the connector?
If just the connector, then it may be just a bad crimp or loose/bad connection. Is the bolt loose?

If these cables are hot, then you have an issue with your motor. I suggest removing it for inspection.

Your -81 is still a mystery. Partly because I have not yet seen a photo of what you have installed in there.

1 Like

It’s the A1 from the controller the hot cable. Other it’s good.
If you check pic you can see what happened when I drove with E81.

Oh cr@P! Yes- that is the sign of a very bad connection. Remove that cable and make sure the post is clean. Also make sure the bolt is clean (not rusty). There is also a good chance the internal connection of the post to the board is compromised now.

I see in your pic posted above (3/25) this A1 connector was not like this at all. What has changed?

This is what I have installed :

Hi Assy… the reason it’s because when i posted the pic was from a pic that i took at the biginning to own the car. The last one where you can see the “burned” part, it’s after error 81 hapenned and after renove controller to clean the bolts.
I will repalce the bolt because it’s a little bit rusty. I hope can resove that …

Can you show me a pic of the speed sensor installed?

Then pull the sensor out and sow me the magnet and shaft?

And one more of what it looks like inside the back of the sensor?

I think you might want to remove the controller from the car and take it to your workbench.
From there (if you feel confident) you should remove the cover and inspect what is going on inside.

Take a few pics.

Just removed. See the pics
Uploading: 7C3C3D56-BDF1-4DBC-A598-E64221CD6B76.jpeg…
Uploading: 62C2D71B-DCE5-4FF5-9E02-922B1CEBCF7A.jpeg…
Uploading: 46AB1F66-B0CA-4203-A20B-9BED19ABBC8A.jpeg…
Processing: 134EF2D9-6132-4B3C-99BB-4A1FADF19F89.jpeg…
Uploading: 1CB17516-7616-45ED-B25C-6D4C41442764.jpeg…

Hi Assy… the magnet was correct, the sensor it’s the same since I bought the car. I bought a new one and someone from here told me it was not fit correctly in the motor. Then I started to make a new magnet, but nothing works because still doing the same.

When my error appeared was in drive. The car in front stopped repently and I stopped too the car because in front it was the typical things installed in the middle of the street to pass slowly, and I felt I was breaking hard and the suspensions arrived at the end of her way because I heard the noise I used to hear when that happens.
Anyway…seconds after started running. E81 appears in desk, speed reduced like in D1 and that’s it.

I drove the car some days like this until the moment I could check and smell the cable A was very hot and burned.

1. Pics not posting
It looks like your pics are not finishing their upload process.
I’m guessing you are hitting [reply] too soon and not allow the editor to finish formatting your post.

E81 error
You are beginning to convince me about it being something in the controller.
If it were mine, I would take the controller apart and fully inspect the overheated A1 connector and how the other end (inside the box) attaches to the board.

If this connection acquired high enough temps inside, it may have burned or loosened neighbor components. The bump may have been the final event in this chain of events.

When inside- look around for any loose components that are now jumping across other components. (screws, nuts, washers)

If you can, be very slow and precise when removing and disassembling the controller. I like to have things remain as they are for inspection so they properly tell the story. It may help with the direction of the repair.

→ Take caution with what you touch inside.
Some of the components may contain a residual charge.
If you do not feel confident in doing this level of service is there someone you know that can help you out?

I got news… checked all mosfets and one has continuity between 2 polea. This afternoon I replaced the mosfet and I will check again what happens.
Thanks for all the help guys. In Spain I could no find any place where they can check my the polaris.
I’ll be back with the result.

Good afternoon guys… after localice bad mosfet and repeared I armed the controller And after charge batteries selenoid is clicking, batteries at 72-73v but does not run.
After time with switch on appears error 49.

Do I have toe check something else?

This is why I am a bit confused. I thought we went in to inspect the A1 Stud.
Did you find out what caused that extreme overheated/melted connector?
Can you post a pic of how that output stud gets mounted to the board?

A blown FET is not what I would have expected from a -81. There is much mayhem going on with this controller.

Was there anything loose/bumping around inside this box?

Solenoid clicking is a good sign. But it also means you probably have it all back together by now.

I assume you did not find any other FETs shorted out?

Error -49 is low current to the field.
Did you get the motor wires back in the correct positions?
What is the condition of your motor? When was the last time you had it serviced?
Measure across Motor Field connections with the controller unhooked should be about 3~5 Ohms if I remember correct. It’s almost a dead short.

Hello AssyRequired. I will try to explain all the problems step by step.

As i told before, i changed speed sensor due E81, and after replaced still doing the same.
The I opened the controller and i could find a mosfet conected between poles. I replaced and after connect everything again the polaris started giving me E49. I found the problem and It was my fault because the negative bolt was to large and it was doing contact inside the controller(where all the mosfets are fixed).
I opened again the controller and i checked the mosfets and i founded 3 mosfets melted again.
I replaced again and armed in car. Now since i switch on and release the hand brake error 66 appear.
I reopened again the controller a few moments before, I started testing the controller and some mosfets died.
I dont know if try to replace them or send the controller from spain to be repared in USA.