Down the Rabbit Hole (2006 Gem e2)

New member. Thanks for the forum.

So on a lark my daughter (14) and I bought a 2006 Gem e2 at an online government auction, using only pictures. We know little about the Gem, but like to tinker.

We took delivery and it has no batteries but otherwise seems intact. There are is some road rash and typical signs of this being an occasional low-speed bumper car, but it seems to have all of its parts. Nothing mechanical jumped out at us. Nor did any rats, so we got that going for us.

We’d like to figure out whether this is serviceable. We had it delivered to an LSV-friendly community, and if it works we’d probably use it for a few years to terrorize the tourists.

First question is batteries: I don’t want to spend $2K+ on new ones just to find out the Gem electronics are toast on the inside. So can we test the basics using a mix of automotive batteries (same chemistry) to just see if it works? I have a few group 24s, some 51s…you get the idea. It’d be a Frankenpile of batteries at first boot, but we’d buy solid AGMs if we can make it chooch.

Second question: It’s a two-seater with a trunk box. So why does it say “e4” on the back?

If it runs, we’ll probably trick this thing out just for giggles. My 11 year old son is thinking we should lift the suspension (even possible?), and make it look like a hotrod. My daughter agreed, but suggested a Hello Kitty theme so it will embarrass her dad. They are good kids who can run tools - and even weld - so I plan to keep feeding them. For now.

Thanks in advance for any consideration you give to our questions.

Nice score! At least you are starting off with a good base to build from.

Hopefully it is not too flogged. I’m not sure who is worse. Teens or military?

The tricky part in anything from the Gov Auctions is getting the proper papers to get you papered/plated for the street. This sometimes can be tough in some states.

So can we test the basics using a mix of automotive batteries

Sure, Just to wake up the car. But don’t plan on it being very useful other than running down the street. (It might get you around the block).

Start by taking some pics, then some of what is under the hood, then what is under the dash. We should be able to spot what is missing.

Where is the e4 sticker? Up above the back window on the driver side should be the VIN sticker. We can decode it to find out what the car is supposed to be.

But yes- the rabbit hole is real…

3 Likes

Yeah you can use any batteries you have floating around to power it up. When I bought my 08 elxd with bad batteries, I used a few motorcycle batteries, lawn mower batteries and automotive batteries all connected together with a bunch of jumper cables. I jacked up the front to see if it would work after it all came alive.

1 Like

Oh, I didn’t want to overwhelm the first post, but I have the VIN and did a lookup.

The e4 is an actual plastic tag on the back. I just thought it odd.

I’ll take a bunch more pics and try to get it moving when I am near it again. I travel a lot and it’s in Florida and I am 1000 miles away for a few weeks. I asked the question now because I have batteries where I am, and wondered if it was worth the hassle of driving them down. Sounds like a yes.

As for military or teens being worse on equipment…they are frequently the same. Or pretty close to it. I don’t remember being that smart out of college when they put me in uniform and gave me the kind of responsibility no “kid” should have. Frankly, I am shocked we didn’t break everything. That said, we had a lot of fun trying.

Thanks again, and I look forward to anything you can tell us about the model.

You must have the ultra rare e3. Two seats, e4 rear faring.

You should buy a lottery ticket…

Oh wait…

If it runs, don’t spend 2k on AGM batteries. Spend about $2500 on lithium and you will never wear them out and it will go like a scalded ape

2 Likes

Thinking it over, I bet that e4 back end was grafted on from spare parts. It’s the kinda thing I would have done.

Also, anyone know what that logo is for? I bought it from GP in Florida and have no other info.

edit: @JarJarJava: Saw your post after I published my last response. Surely you jest. They actually delivered vehicles that way - grafted parts? If so, I’m liking this thing even more. Sounds sketchy. I like it. Thx.

1 Like

I never jest. This is totally my “serious as dick cancer” face.

The rear spat coming from another car would be my guess. Especially since it came with a set of tail lights on the fenders while yours are up at the seat backs. 4 tail lights are cool.

First look finds that logo might have some roots at KSC (maybe if you squint).

2005 and a few 2006 had tail lights on fender and above back seat. lift the front hood and take pictures of the motor. label on grey box and see if there is a yellow charger mounted upside down under grey box. For cheap you can go with deep cycle 31 batteries 90-100 ea. If you think you are going to want to make it go faster than 25 mph and get any decent range, lithium will be cheaper than lead and performance parts. replacement parts are not that bad on a Gem, batteries and body parts are the most expensive. Where in Florida are you?

The rear spat coming from another car would be my guess. Especially since it came with a set of tail lights on the fenders while yours are up at the seat backs. 4 tail lights are cool.

First look finds that logo might have some roots at KSC (maybe if you squint).

I thought it might be them but I couldn’t find the logo. The graphics you found are close enough that I think you are right. Mystery solved. I feel like we should have a Scooby Snack.

2005 and a few 2006 had tail lights on fender and above back seat. lift the front hood and take pictures of the motor. label on grey box and see if there is a yellow charger mounted upside down under grey box.

I’ll get good pics all around when I get back. I have a few night photos that include that grey box, but the label just says “Customer” and I don’t have any of anything else. I just randomly shot photos of any labels I could easily find, while standing in the rain. Will do a better job in a few weeks.

If you think you are going to want to make it go faster than 25 mph and get any decent range, lithium will be cheaper than lead and performance parts. replacement parts are not that bad on a Gem, batteries and body parts are the most expensive.

Range, yes. Speed…shmaybe. It wouldn’t hurt to be able to goose above 25. We have a few areas with a posted 35 MPH, and I always hate the golf carts slowing everyone down. My plan was to keep this Gem off those roads and use it on the smaller, quiet streets. But having an option to make quicker runs would be nice.

I always thought Lithium would be significantly more expensive. Sounds like you all have better options to explore, if this thing runs.

Where in Florida are you?

Anna Maria Island, near Sarasota. We have a few houses there that we rent when we are not there. We also live in MD. We’re sorta nomadic.

I have a few customers in that area that bought lithium. I’m in Naples, if your ever down here you can stop by and see where the magic happens.

If you use this kitty theme it shouldn’t be so embarrassing. Hellcat emblems to match the real car :wink:

We were at AMI for a week this past May - lovely place!