Delta q charger algorithm changing for gem's

OK guys here is the way to change your setting on a GEM DELTA Q.

Strongly suggest you first : disconnect the charger positive (red) wire from the terminal post and attach 4 feet of wire to it. Then securely attach 4 feet of wire to the post. This enables you to view the lights on the charger while laying on your back under the cart and make accurately timed “TAP” connections.

The MOST IMPORTANT thing you have to do is get the DQ into setup mode.

You have 11 seconds to get in the setup mode when you plug in the charger. During those 11 seconds the yellow light on the charger will flash the current setting. (14 for Gel’s) after 11 seconds it will time out and you will get a red light. and you will have to unplug for 15 seconds to reset.

OK YOU ARE ON YOUR BACK UNDER THE CART. You are comfortable with the 2 wires in your hot little hands.

1. Plug the charger in.

2. Tap and hold the wires together for slightly LESS than 1 second. If the charger goes into setup mode it will continue to flash the current setting past the 11 seconds (for up to 2 minutes)

If you get a red you have to start over. If you hold it for a second or more you WILL get a red. If you don’t hold it long enough, you will get a red. Getting into the setup mode is the hardest part of the procedure. Most people skip this step and never are successful.

1. after you get into the setup mode TAP and count one one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand, unh. Three seconds is too short, 4 seconds is too long.

If you are successful the program will advance. If not you have to unplug and start over.

3, Wait 30 seconds and repeat until you get to the setting you want. (13 for flooded)

1. When you get to desired setting tap and hold until you here a click , or 30 seconds.

5 Unplug, wait 15 second and plug it back in to make sure it is set on the setting you want.

1. YOUR DONE. Remove the jumpers and reconnect the charger wire to the post.

Congratulations you have joined an elite group that has the ability to program a extremely frustrating electronic device.

Let us know your results.

Rodney

3 Likes

For those doing it more than once, I believe Rodney has installed a momentary switch on the two wires.
One to red wire, one to B+. (or where B+ was connected)
A small fuse on the B+ line is recommended. (by me)
Procedure is the same with more reliable timing than tap.
Tape it up and safer for 72vdc.:wink:

I do use a momentary switch with 4 feet of wires attached. Better control than tapping the bare wires.

Rodney

1 Like

Hello> New to forum. Hello

I have a 2005 Gem e4. I’ve read every DeltaQ article. Watched the Youtube videos etc. And, studied the Gem Shop Manual. And, my buddy and i that are working on this are both engineers. But, not EEs. But, we can’t change the algo code.

I need to change the algo code from 14 to 13.

I’m not an ■■■■■, but i have an idiotic question. WHERE IS THE POSITIVE LEAD I WORK WITH? I took off the dash and tried to work with the two leads off the Delta at the main block. But, the codes won’t change. And, i can’t find another positive lead to the parallel battery pack. Gem shop manual says use the main power switch. But, that doesn’t work

Pretty Please! Where is the positive lead i work with? Is it on the converter or regulator. HELP. And thanks.

Doug

The red wire from charger under the dash. Connected to load side of main switch.

1 Like

To prepare to change the algorithm on a Delta Q on most GEM cars you will need 2 pieces of insulated electrical wire about 6 feet long connected to a momentary pushbutton switch.

The reason for this is that you will be flat on your back where you can see the indicator lights on the DQ while changing the setting.

Let’s get started.

Shut the main switch off.

Disconnect the red wire coming from the charger at the B+ (battery plus) post.

Connect one of your pushbutton wires to the post and position the other end under the cart in a comfortable position.

Connect the other wire to the charger red wire…

Turn on the main switch.

THE HARDEST PART OF THE PROCEDURE IS GETTING THE CHARGER IN SETUP MODE.

Get under the cart in a comfortable position where you can plug and unplug the charger.

Reach up and plug in the charger. The indicator will flash the current code for 11 seconds in yellow then time out and flash red.

Unplug the charger for 15+ seconds to let it reset.

WE”RE READY TO GO

Plug the charger in and push the button for a bit less than one second (count 1-1000) ¾ of a second is too short, more than a second is too long. If it continues to flash the algorithm for more than 11 seconds YOU’RE IN!!!. If it red lights, you have to start over.

When you’re in, you have 2 minutes to tap the button for a bit less than 4 secounds, count 1-1000, 2-1000, 3-1000, 4-unh. Under 3 seconds is too short, over 4 seconds is too long. If you got It. it will flash the new algorithm. If you red light, start over.

Repeat until you reach your desired algorithm. THEN

Hold the button down for 10 seconds, or until you hear the charger click indicating your new setting is stored.

Unplug the charger and shut off the main switch. Remove your setup wiring and connect the red charger wire to the post.

YOU’RE DONE!!!

In a message dated 3/16/2020 4:53:49 PM Eastern Standard Time, electricforum@discoursemail.com writes:

3 Likes

Thanks. The wire bundle coming off the Delta has three wires. The red connects to a black-neg post under dash, Is this the spot?

Sorry i can’t upload a picture. It’s too big

I have found that some chargers like three 1 second presses to change profiles.

In programming mode:
Touch positive for one sec, release, press for one sec, release, press for one second, release.
Charger changes profile.
Rinse and repeat until you get to the profile you want.
10 second hold to lock in, and then reboot the charger.

Rodney, I have a delta q 72volt charger replacing the zivan that burned out, how do I know what algorithm I should set it to? I have 6 trojans.

13 for flooded.

In a message dated 3/20/2020 7:51:14 PM Eastern Standard Time, electricforum@discoursemail.com writes:

The RED wire goes to the POSITIVE POST the black wire goes to the negative terminal

In a message dated 3/20/2020 3:35:48 PM Eastern Standard Time, electricforum@discoursemail.com writes:

Old Houseboater. Many thanks. Got the algo to change and store yesterday.

Excellent

Hi, I had the same problem I needed the profile #13 flooded and it was in #14 GEL

Damn it took me a while but I got it. The timing is sooo sensitive and I had to do it like 50 times.

My recommendation,

If you have the charger inside the dashboard, use the positive that goes to the fuse. My delta q LED dashboard was facing to the floor so I took the screws off and I put it where I could see the LEDs.

Counting the seconds is the key, we all count different and in my case I had to go all the way around the profiles since it won’t go from 14 to 13 it goes just forward so imagine after the 15th attempt my “counting” was inaccurate (including counting thousands) so I’ve decided to get my phone and use the stopwatch. The first one to get in Setup mode is less than a second, but do it AFTER the charger did its self test, (for me it was way better wait until it was showing the active profile for the 2nd time)
Like someone said on top… if you get Red, start again.

If you’re in setup mode the charger will keep showing you the profile, then get the phone, and start the counter at the same time when you touch the positive. Wait until you see 3.5 seconds and release. If you wait until 4 seconds you’ll get RED and you need to start again.
If that worked repeat (don’t rush, take your time to reset the :stopwatch:) and do it again.

Hope it helps.

This has been working good for a lot of the members for the last 3 years.

To prepare to change the algorithm on a Delta Q on most GEM cars you will need 2 pieces of insulated electrical wire about 6 feet long connected to a momentary pushbutton switch.
The reason for this is that you will be flat on your back where you can see the indicator lights on the DQ while changing the setting.
Let’s get started.
Shut the main switch off.
Disconnect the red wire coming from the charger at the B+ (battery plus) post.
Connect one of your pushbutton wires to the post and position the other end under the cart in a comfortable position.
Connect the other wire to the charger red wire…
Turn on the main switch.
THE HARDEST PART OF THE PROCEDURE IS GETTING THE CHARGER IN SETUP MODE.
Get under the cart in a comfortable position where you can plug and unplug the charger.
Reach up and plug in the charger. The indicator will flash the current code for 11 seconds in yellow then time out and flash red.
Unplug the charger for 15+ seconds to let it reset.
WE”RE READY TO GO
Plug the charger in and push the button for a bit less than one second (count 1-1000) ¾ of a second is too short, more than a second is too long. If it continues to flash the algorithm for more than 11 seconds YOU’RE IN!!!. If it red lights, you have to start over.
When you’re in, you have 2 minutes to tap the button for a bit less than 4 secounds, count 1-1000, 2-1000, 3-1000, 4-unh. Under 3 seconds is too short, over 4 seconds is too long. If you got It. it will flash the new algorithm. If you red light, start over.
Repeat until you reach your desired algorithm. THEN
Hold the button down for 10 seconds, or until you hear the charger click indicating your new setting is stored.
Unplug the charger and shut off the main switch. Remove your setup wiring and connect the red charger wire to the post.
YOU’RE DONE!!!

1 Like

I was able to do it with the help of the above directions. I had emailed tech support of Delta Q chargers and watched YouTube videos which stated that once in the eleven second window to touch the positive battery lead for 3 seconds. This never worked. As in this GEM forum the key was to touch one second until it gets past the eleven seconds and into a two minute window. One problem I had was touching positive to the post or making a 4 or 6 foot wire was the intense spark. It was scary to me. So I noticed when I turn off the main switch under the dash it allowed me to plug in and put the charger into the eleven second window. What this means is the main switch is the same as disconnecting of the battery pack from the charger. So I put a mirror where I could see the lights and flicked the switch after plugging in the charger for both the one second into set up mode and the three second changing of the algorithm as any times as needed to the right one the back on again to confirm with a click. also I turned the key on and the lights on so I could count the one second or the three seconds the light was on helped me time it. I hope this helps. As no wires or sparks or other switch for the wires. Just use the main flip switch under the dash. :smiley:

Hmmm

Congratulations your the first person that I heard was successful using the switch. Way to go.

Rodney

Hey, thanks so much for posting this walkthrough. I want to add that I was also able to change my settings quickly using the main switch method!

2008 gem eL

Hi…that is the world we live in today, everything is exclusive. Apple is the more regrettable guilty party with second rate item. Need a charger to charge an Apple thingamabob, you need to get one made only for Apple. In any case any usb will chip away at some other product offering you can purchase for 1/3 the cost.

I work in the Telecom and Power Generation areas. Pretty much every piece of hardware and test gear is restrictive aside from 2 things. DC Power Plants and Batteries. Any DC plant will work with any battery. Just set the voltage and your done. Genuine simple as the reach is 52.8 to 55.2. Everything necessary is either a screw driver or several ticks on a keypad.

Hmmm

Pretty simplistic, maybe for flooded batteries but not necessarily so for more sophisticated types. Need a lot more information to be comfortable with this information.

Rodney

1 Like

Way cool story brah…