DeLorean_4's Electric Bicycle

Hi everyone,

I’m a Secondary Five (Grade 11) International Studies student and for my personal project I’m building an electric bicycle :slight_smile: To date, I hooked everything up, got myself a “slick” tire, recycled a bike rack and taillight and temporarily held everything together on the bicycle with bungee cords. My first three test runs yielded a top speed of 38km/h, but with favourable road conditions, a full charge, and slight downhill grade; I’m sure I could push over forty (not that 38 is already terrifying enough on a noiseless bicycle).
I contacted e-bikes of Vancouver, BC and they recommended that I use a lexan (polycarbonate) casing. I have yet to design my case…

Parts list:
-Crystalyte 406 hub motor
-Crystalyte 36V 20A controller
-41v Ni-mh battery pack
-Renaissance Bicycles CyclAnalyst (on-board computer)
-36v Ni-Mh battery charger.

i love that bike! how much total did the parts and what not cost?

As of now… 932$ for EV parts, 28$ for the slick tire, 50$ for the Radio w/ horn (2 years ago) and about 300$ for the bicycle back in the day.

[QUOTE=DeLorean_4;1810]As of now… 932$ for EV parts, 28$ for the slick tire, 50$ for the Radio w/ horn (2 years ago) and about 300$ for the bicycle back in the day.[/QUOTE]

wow not bad. more expensive than i thought, but not bad still.

wow not bad. more expensive than i thought, but not bad still.

I was lucky enough to get a discount Ni-Mh battery pack at about 100$ instead of 200 and the cyclanalyst cost me 120$… I’d say I have a fairly above average performing bicycle considering the fact I have Ni-Mh instead of Ni-Cd, a 26 inch wheel instead of 24 up front, 38km/h (for now) top speed and an undetermined range (I’m afraid of staying outside too long and freezing the components… I’m Canadian and not living in BC :D).

Who else built an EV bike? I’d like to compare performance figures…

I did a typo… 832$ for the e-parts, not 932. Add 29$ for casing parts.

As for the performance, I’ve been able get up to 40.1km/h on level ground and 47.6km/h downhill.

New Top speed: 50.4 km/h downhill (I’m not trying to break records, at least anymore)

For sale if any of you are interested.