D&D Blue Motor upgrade Magnet replacement

I just replaced my GE 5hp stock motor with D&D Heavy Duty Blue motor Part#170-501-0002B on my 2008 GEM E4 with a T4 Controller. It was shipped directly from D&D as the motor only.

I went to Ride for Fun site to make sure I did not miss any steps on the motor upgrade. After shorting the temp sensor they replaced the magnet.

Does anyone know what the magnet is that I need to buy for the upgraded D&D motor?

With the new motor and below settings, I am getting 27 mph with my small tires. I would like to get to 30+mph if possible. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

GE Sentry programmer. Golf Cart smaller low profile tires which is the change for the #13 & #16 settings. I reduced regen #9 & #10 for the glide effect. Here is what is changed from stock:

4 Max Armature Current Limit 255

7 Minimum Field Current 55

9 Regen Armature Current 50

10 Regen Maximum Field Curre 60

21 MPH Overspeed/Top Speed Regula 255

13 Rolling Radius in Inches 75

16 Gear Ratio in Tenths 107

INWO – I ended up getting the new rebuilt pedal, so I have a failed accel pedal if your still interested in playing with it. You can message me offline and I will ship it to you. timfitzgerald@yahoo.com. Thanks.

Tim

Hi
how did you rebuild the pedal ?

I originally cleaned the contacts and re-soldered the points, but it later failed again. I ended up buying the new pedal from the dealer. The new pedal was close to $600 shipped but is made like it should have been done originally. The servo contacts lose contact with the metal strips on the original pedals…

change #16 to 124 . is the speedo reading 27 or are you checking it on gps ?

if you want to get rid of regen change #19 and 20 to 255

I will try the #16 this weekend. I have a long commute to work and kids so during the week is tough to experiment.

If I change the #16 to a higher number I assume that will have a similar effect as a magic magnet in tricking the controller on wheel speed correct?

The settings I posted:

9 Regen Armature Current 50

10 Regen Maximum Field Curre 60

shut off my regen already. Are you saying that I should set them back and change #19 & #20 instead? If it helps protect my motor I want to do that as the settings I have eventually smoked my orig GE 5HP.

I don’t want to damage the new D&D Blue Motor I just put in if at all possible. Thx

My speedo reads what my speed is currently compared to GPS (I just use the WAZE iphone app for people following along to read my speed while driving) and radar in my neighborhood. It’s dialed to my smaller golf cart size low profile tires. I would like to get my MPH speed over 28 current (hopefully 30+) and still keep my speedo calibrated if possible, and not burn my new blue motor. I just gave my old pedal to inwo (Dave) so he can play with it as he helped me trouble shoot earlier.

If I can change my wheel spin calibration, not stress the motor, and get my speedo dialed, then I don’t think I need to spend more money on the the magnet trick approach if I don’t have to. Thanks for all the brain support.

Tim

Just installed the new design accelerator pedal module and do not like the position of it, too high for my preference. It does look like it will last the life of the machine though.

Lots of stuff here to address .

you dont need a mm if you have software .

on regen . 9 & 10 dictate max current on regen . #19 and 20 tell the controller how much regen you want . set it to 255 means no reg .you mention burning up your motor , regen wont do that . i have a 17 year old ge 5hp motor that i run at 35mph+ and use heavy regen no problem . Actually i dont thing a D&D motor will do regen . If you dont like regen dont use it . I love it and use it on all my gems . doesn’t hurt motor .

you say your cart does 28 and the speedo is accurate ? Gem speedo are not suppose to show speeds over 26 mph constantly . If you going down hill they will but not under normal driving , can you clarify this ?

The only way to have you gem show the correct speed over 26mph is to send your controller to R 4 F anfdhave it reflashed , $300 . You can make your gem faster but you speedo will be off . I set them for 5mph under correct speed for clients . they know when it says 26 they are going 31.

question . did you change #16 t 107 ? your cart wouldn’t have come that way . How are you dialing in your speed to small tire size ?

your D&D motor will spin pretty fast so you should be able to hit your speed goal .

p.s. i have been told the #1 reason for motor failure is corrosion from lack of use . Keep using your gems!

Thanks for the pedal. It looks to be in pretty good shape. I disassembled to see how it was built and how it works. I believe there is an aftermarket sensor available, which would use the same steel parts.
I believe I will have to buy one to know for sure.
Not one of the cheap ones but <$200 retail.

Hi
did you mount it inside car like 2013 and up cars ?
any picture of new pedal ?
thanks

Would an upside down model fit?
Very common.

Gem

Looking for the plug that Think uses for motor control wires.
An Ebay customer wants a MM, but looks like a 4 or 6 wire plug.
I can use some good picture of wire colors and pin numbers. Also a diagram.

And another. Can almost wire it from this one.

Looks like they just combined the speed sensor and the temp sensor into the same plug. Could you just split them out and splice the wires into the two current plug adapters on current models?

I could, but customer may not like it. Need to find a source for the 6p plugs.
I have Deutsch 6p but they don’t look the same.

This one?

It’s like deja vu all over again…

No its an entirely different module and uses a thick metal rod that is bent in the shape of the arm (although the arm should have been slightly longer to match the original). It is mounted by a metal bracket that uses the 2 of the three existing holes in the main frame which is part of the assembly (much preferred than mounting module straight to the frame).

It was at my old job so no pictures sorry.

I’m thinking to use the original pedal and arm. Replacing the pot box. Look at the top picture. Cut it off and the stub looks same as the Gem.
What years use this type?
My 2008 is bolted to the frame with plug accessible from the front. How are they removed? Need to remove lower dash panel?

Sorry, I’m lazy!

The pedal I sent you is from a 2008. You have to remove the lower dash to install. 2 screws in engine compartment hold top of dash on. It un-Velcro’s from lower dash and there are 3 bolts that hold lower dash on. Not too bad.

Good, mine is a 2008. Too lazy to test though. Maybe I can plug it in and run from the front with wheel off the ground. Should be worth getting killed to save 15 minutes work. :slight_smile: