Corvette Conversion

I’ve been toying with the idea of converting a car to EV for a while. Recently I blew the engine in my 79 vette. I am at a crossroads and am looking for input, EV or IC. I’ve been following the forum for a while and doing my own research.

My requirements are:
Cruising speed of about 80 mph - my commute is almost entirely interstate highway.
Range 100 miles - my daily commute is 45 miles each way.

Simple enough, but I know it is in the upper limit for a home conversion.

The reason for the vette is because, I have a no compromise attitude, it no longer has an engine, and I don’t want to get rid of the car. The engine bay is about 12 cubic feet (conservative estimate, more space under the fenders is available) and the gas tank takes up about 5 cubic feet. The curb weight is about 3,500 lbs.

I want to go whole hog on this, with an AC motor for efficiency and regen brakes. I am also planning to use a 3 or 4 speed manual trans with an electrically actuated clutch. I’ve used this type of clutch before on race cars with predictable and dependable results.

I am wondering if my idea is still in the clouds or if it is even a possibility. I am refinishing the car while the engine is out and don’t expect to make a final decision until about May 2010. I’m looking for inputs on controllers, motors, and batteries. I am in the hopes EEStor is more than vaporware and will be available to the public, if it makes it to market. Any input will be appreciated.

It would be much less expensive to just buy a used Tesla Roadster. You can pay for it by repairing your vet and selling it, because there is no way you can reach your objectives DIY. The 3-phase motor, VFD 3-phase inverter, drive train, and battery bank would all have to be custom engineered and built.

With the Telsa you get all your objectives met and then some like heat, air conditioning, power windows, door locks, brakes, heated seats, great stereo, and will blow any corvette off the track with about a 200 mile range. Biggest problem with them like any EV is replacing the battery module every couple of years a $15 K a pop. That is why there are so many used ones for sale, and new sales have ground to a halt.

EESTOR is pure vaporware.

[QUOTE=Sunking;6778]It would be much less expensive to just buy a used Tesla Roadster. You can pay for it by repairing your vet and selling it, because there is no way you can reach your objectives DIY. The 3-phase motor, VFD 3-phase inverter, drive train, and battery bank would all have to be custom engineered and built.[/QUOTE]

I’m not used to being blown off like this, but I think you missed the point. Expense is secondary and you severely overestimate the value of the Corvette. In the history of corvettes, 1979 was the highest production year, in effect making it one of the cheapest vettes on the market.

As far as the custom fab work, I own a machine/welding shop so that is not a problem.

I know I need a VFD, I was hoping someone knew if there was a commercially available alternative to my own R&D. Since reading your post, I have enlisted the help of a Golf partner of mine. He is a former engineer for Danfoss. He says we shouldn’t have a problem and should have a prototype VFD within the next six months.

[QUOTE=Sunking;6778]That is why there are so many used ones for sale, and new sales have ground to a halt.[/QUOTE]

The Tesla is nice, but I am fairly tall and don’t fit in the thing very well, my neighbor has one and he let me take it for a test drive.

As far as your assertion that there are alot of used ones on the market, I’ve looked and most of them are being sold by people thinking they have something special and are trying to make a quick buck. As far as new sales, a slow down is the normal flow of business. The shine is worn off, until they market the car better and the recession starts a turnaround sales will be lackluster. Just look at the other car companies. Same boat for most of the last year.

As I said before, I am looking at the feasibility of turning this car into an EV that will fit my needs. Dismissing me out of hand was uncalled for. I am not a young kid writing to take up someone’s time. I am a 43 year old professional fabricator and successful business owner looking at alternatives. Otherwise, thank you for responding to my post and giving your opinion. I may be nuts for trying it, but I didn’t get to where I am today without taking a few chances. Even a few hair-brained, outside-the-box, long-shots.

Its definately getting up there in weight. If you have not already taken a look check out the MetricMind Engineering no compromise conversion (http://www.metricmind.com/audi/main.htm). Not only does they supply decently priced AC drive systems which may be able to provide you with enough torque but his conversion is very similar to yours in both curb weight and obtainable range/speed. One thing to note is that he did not use a transmission, but coupled straight to the differential. This is totally doable because of the beautiful power curves electric motors can provide, the rpm range of AC motors, and it would drop your weight down a little further. You will absolutely need LiPo batteries, so allow for a very expensive battery pack and BMS, and consider looking at higher voltage systems for both efficiency and battery lifespan. I would love to see this work out so good luck!

I know it is a heavy car to use for a conversion, but I can’t see me being happy with a focus or VW as a daily driver. Just “settling” for what can be done easily and cheaply has never been good enough.

Thank You for sending me to Metric Minds, I think this is exactly what I am looking for. I like their “no compromise” attitude.

You are right about LiPo batteries. Expensive, but I also think there will not be any other options in the foreseeable future.

If this works out, even getting close to my goals, I will post pics and info when I am done. Thanks.

On another note i am actually planning a golf Mk3 conversion and was about to go lead acid before someone directed me to this site: www.EVcomponents.com. Very very good prices on LiPo packs, and they carry a decent number of other EV components. I dont know what they offer for large BMS systems but the cells at least could be purchased there. Good luck!

[QUOTE=JRyder;6874]I know it is a heavy car to use for a conversion, but I can’t see me being happy with a focus or VW as a daily driver. Just “settling” for what can be done easily and cheaply has never been good enough.

Thank You for sending me to Metric Minds, I think this is exactly what I am looking for. I like their “no compromise” attitude.

You are right about LiPo batteries. Expensive, but I also think there will not be any other options in the foreseeable future.

If this works out, even getting close to my goals, I will post pics and info when I am done. Thanks.[/QUOTE]
Last week, while returning from St Louis on I-64 eastbound, I saw a white Corvette with the license of “E VET 79”.
Perhaps just a conversion?
The tailpipes suggested a smaller than stock motor on board.

I have a 79 vette that I would like to convert to electric. Mine runs okay, but have always wanted to convert it. I have never done a conversion, but I am a Machinist and can make alot of parts

Here’s a conversion of a 1987 Corvette using a Netgain Warp 11 motor.

The Volt Vette Project - Chapter 2 - Convert a Corvette to electric???

The Chevrolet Corvette C6.R is a grand tourer racing car built by Pratt & Miller and General Motors for competition in endurance racing. It is a replacement for the Corvette C5-R racing car, applying the body style of the new C6 generation Chevrolet Corvette as well as improvements to increase the speed and reliability on the track. Since its debut in 2005, it has continued on from the previous dominance of the C5-R in its racing class with multiple American Le Mans Series championships and race wins in the Le Mans Series, FIA GT Championship, and 24 Hours of Le Mans.BMW Accessories

Hello all,
Newbie here, but have been following for a while now…
I can understand JRyder and where he is coming form being a hot rodder at heart as well…
A heavier car can be done, as in the case of a El Camino at TDL Electronics Electric El Camino Page
Some of the info from the site is:
TOP SPEED: 85 MPH
ACCELERATION: Quick
MOTOR: 100 HP
CHARGE TIME 8 Hours or Less

He used large car batteries, so surely using LiPo batteries could help alot…

I have found some smaller batteries like Panasonic LC-X1220P (12 Volt/20 Amp Hour) Dimensions: 7.13"L x 2.99"W x 6.58"H, Weight: 15 Pound(s)

I have yet to find someone that has used them in a project, but the cost is low as well at $69.00 (per 20) at 15lbs each that is a pack that is only 300lbs. Like I said though, I haven’t seen them in use yet…

I was thinking of doing the same conversion, but I stopped because I didn’t like the idea of having most of the batteries under the hood… and there really isn’t too many other places to put that enough cells to do 100 miles.

I was afraid that if I ever got into a big accident, the cells in the very front would explode. I already had a cell burn up in my other car, so I can imagine a whole bunch being smashed together. But I may just be paranoid.

Has anyone ever crushed a full Lithium cell before? Did it explode?

• Paul