Converting my VW Jetta

Hello all! Im new to these forums and figured I would say Hi and introduce myself and my project. I have been thinking about doing an EV conversion for a long time and after watching “Who Killed the Electric Car” well lets just say I was inspired. Anyways I have had my 1984 VW Jetta in pieces for a few years now and I have decided to convert it. I know there are some Rabbit conversions out there and I was hoping to get some input on some options for motors and controlers. I have gotten a quote from EVAmerica for a kit and think im going to go with a Advanced DC #203-06-4001 motor, alltrax Controller AXE 7245 and a Sevcon 128/12 dc/dc converter for starters.

Anyone have any advice for a novice?
Thanks,
Greg

New Dawn here on the forums is doing his own conversion with a saturn, talk to him, and he will help ya out a bit i’m sure. he has his conversion in a thread here too with pics.

http://www.evforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17

if you need anything though, let us know and we will try to help the best we can.

It sounds like a great project. Good luck and don’t forget to post pics!

Pictures I will have. In fact i will probably get some up this weekend of the car and empty engine bay.

Here we go some pictures of the car in question.

I have had the engine out of the car for a few years now.

Some European bumpers I bought will help me save a bunch of weight. They are a whole lot lighter than their North American counterparts. I wouldnt wanna get tino an accident with them though. They wouldnt stop a pine cone.

I just wanted to say good luck on your progect and if I can help let me know. Bob Batsun is a great resourse for informatation on your build at EV America. We talked allot. LOL I had my worst problem with the batteries Where I thought they would go and where they ended up at. LOL I would suggest for you to mock up at least one battery the size they are going to be and try fitting it in the area you designate for them and it will give you a idea on the real problems related to them. I could get them to fit with the hood up but not down ect ect ect… Just to give you a idea. LOL I did get them to fit eventually but it took allot of thinking 3d and a couple of battery boxes that didn’t work.:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

LOL. Ya i figured I would mock up a bunch of cardboard boxes the size of the batterys im gonna use (probably yellow top optimas). I figure like 4 under the rear seat, and the rest under the hood possibly.

After a lot of reading and research I believe im changing my controler plans to a Zilla z1 controler. I like performance as well as being good to nature and everything I have read about them is good.

[QUOTE=gregor413;747]LOL. Ya i figured I would mock up a bunch of cardboard boxes the size of the batterys im gonna use (probably yellow top optimas).

After a lot of reading and research I believe im changing my controler plans to a Zilla z1 controler.[/QUOTE]

Definately good choices if it’s in your budget. The original setup you described is almost exactly what I’ve got under the hood of my Honda Civic. And in the back seat, and the floor… :rolleyes:
It’s a good start, but I sacrificed performance and range to keep it cheap. Also, look into the Exide Orbitals. I’m hearing that they compare very well to the YTs and they are even a little lighter.

Ya I think I will. I heard those batteries were in fact a bit better in performance than the YT’s also. Thats hard to argue with if it is the case, lighter, better performing batteries. Now to find out a price. I must look into them further.

[QUOTE=gregor413;429]Here we go some pictures of the car in question.

I have had the engine out of the car for a few years now.

Some European bumpers I bought will help me save a bunch of weight. They are a whole lot lighter than their North American counterparts. I wouldnt wanna get tino an accident with them though. They wouldnt stop a pine cone.
[/QUOTE]

NO WAY! im converting the same car!

[QUOTE=gregor413;747]
After a lot of reading and research I believe im changing my controler plans to a Zilla z1 controler. I like performance as well as being good to nature and everything I have read about them is good.[/QUOTE]

Just be forwarned there is a 6 month waiting list for those controllers. Put in your order now…

That is the sexiest car I have ever seen. updates on your progress would be appreciated. I want to convert my '92 Jetta

any progress???

i want to conver mine too :slight_smile:

its been without a motor for 3 years, sitting on the backburners…

Cool thread… good luck with your conversion! Sounds like it may be a long process for you!

hey dubbers i just joined too , i would like to convert my 1986 vw scirocco 2.0 fuel injected 8v to electric drag,
it weighs less than 2500

has aerodynamic zender body kit,
euro bumpers,turns,headlights,
autotech lowering springs,
tt short shift,
5 speed,
excellent cosmetically/mechanically,
4 wheel disc brakes,
non a/c conversion,
manual steering,
sunroof,
upgraded master cyinder(power assist brakes)
etc