Conventional to PHEV conversion suggestions?

Hi,

[B]I’m seeking advice for a budget PHEV conversion project.[/B] As such, my minimum requirement list is quite low:

[ul][li][B]Small, sporty design[/B]. An older RX-7 or MG, etc. would be fine, a tiny kit car would be great. Something [I]light[/I] and efficient.
[/li][li][B]2 seats[/B] for myself and a passenger 300lbs combined
[/li][li][B]Small amount of baggage space[/B], perhaps 50 lbs min OK.
[/li][li][B]Performance not critical[/B], so 0-60 in 13s OK (solo), 75mph top speed OK, 6% grade at 45mph important at gross (hwy 26), OK to start the gen.
[/li][li][B]Lead acid[/B]
[/li][li][B]electric range 12 mi[/B]
[/li][li][B]Combined range 180mi[/B]
[/li][li][B]250w (peak) audio system[/B] with 8" only luxury must. AC not needed.
[/li][li][B]Ceramic heater[/B] needed, OK to preheat on AC
[/li][li][B]Generator need not be very powerful [/B], enough to maintain 55mph on the flats with positive charge. Diesel desirable so I can burn biodiesel when available.
[/li][li][B]120v charging[/B] most the time on a single 15amp circuit
[/li][li][B]Stick shift if not fixed gear[/B]
[/li][/ul]

I follow a lot of EV news, including Green Car Reports, Oregon EVA, Plug-in-America, Slashdot, and a lot of mass-reported news on the issues.

[B]I’d greatly appreciate any suggestions.[/B]

Best,
turbine :cool:

[QUOTE=turbine;11165]Hi,

[B]I’m seeking advice for a budget PHEV conversion project.[/B] As such, my minimum requirement list is quite low:

[ul][li][B]Small, sporty design[/B]. An older RX-7 or MG, etc. would be fine, a tiny kit car would be great. Something [I]light[/I] and efficient.
[/li][li][B]2 seats[/B] for myself and a passenger 300lbs combined
[/li][li][B]Small amount of baggage space[/B], perhaps 50 lbs min OK.
[/li][li][B]Performance not critical[/B], so 0-60 in 13s OK (solo), 75mph top speed OK, 6% grade at 45mph important at gross (hwy 26), OK to start the gen.
[/li][li][B]Lead acid[/B]
[/li][li][B]electric range 12 mi[/B]
[/li][li][B]Combined range 180mi[/B]
[/li][li][B]250w (peak) audio system[/B] with 8" only luxury must. AC not needed.
[/li][li][B]Ceramic heater[/B] needed, OK to preheat on AC
[/li][li][B]Generator need not be very powerful [/B], enough to maintain 55mph on the flats with positive charge. Diesel desirable so I can burn biodiesel when available.
[/li][li][B]120v charging[/B] most the time on a single 15amp circuit
[/li][li][B]Stick shift if not fixed gear[/B]
[/li][/ul]

I follow a lot of EV news, including Green Car Reports, Oregon EVA, Plug-in-America, Slashdot, and a lot of mass-reported news on the issues.

[B]I’d greatly appreciate any suggestions.[/B]

Best,
turbine :cool:[/QUOTE]

I don’t know much about diesel generators, but it won’t be as small as you think. To travel at 55 mph, even for a small car like the RX7 or midget will take around 225 to 250 wh/m. This comes out to be over 12,000 watts. You’'l need to pick a vehicle that has room for both the electric motor and the diesel engine. The 12 mile range on electric means you won’t need to many batteries, aound 5KWH worth. A small pickup truck mght make a bettr choice for your hybrid concept.

Frank ’ 77 electric MG Midget [www.electricmgmidget.com]

Quick Suggestion - The Poulsen Hybrid System - Poulsen Hybrid

The Poulsen Hybrid was designed based on the observation that only 10-15 horsepower is required to propel a compact or mid-size automobile along a level road at a steady 50 to 60 mph leading to the conclusion that this relatively small amount of electric power would be able to cope with 70-85% of normal driving, only aided by the combustion engine during start up and when extra energy is required for acceleration and hill climbing.

Poulsen Hybrid