Checking out/ picking up at 2007 e4 tomorrow.

I’m looking to pick up a 2007 e4 tomorrow. What should I look for?

Battery Voltage (only tells terrible failure), electrolyte levels, drive over a bump, test charger,

Anything else I should look for?

grab each tire from the top and push in and pull back and feel for movement. Shouldn’t be much mechanical thunking. Look at bottoms of drum brakes under rear for wet backing plate indicating leaking wheel cylinders. look for transmission leaks around output shafts and bottom of where motor and tranny meet. make sure e-brake holds and make sure you hear the contactor thunk with key on and then release e-brake. check shocks to see no leaking and see the rubber bushings(top/bottom) are still there. Have someone bounce on it while you look at the bottom and top of shocks where you should not see the mount bolts move within the shock mount.

all lights work( indicates good 12V converter ). windshield wiper works. Bring a volt meter and check battery voltage and then plug in the charger and you should see battery voltage creep up a bit and should see dash charge light indicator. red for charging( steady or flashing ), yellow for final charge and green for full. If you have time to see all those but it’s doubtful. Should see red indicator after test drive and plugging it in to charge. Before the test drive check battery voltages, all should be ~12.7V and after test driving a few miles it shouldn’t be down much 12.6 or 12.5. I don’t know what the suspension of a 2007 looks like so others will have to chime in for what to look at.

check to see all the keys operate trunk and dash box.

1 Like

Check the batteries!

Thanks. Already bought it. Batteries are OK.

Congratulations! Pix?

Hi Doug,
Do you know how to unplug the controller in a 2007 Gem 4? A 760-519-8610

controller has a big 23 pin plug. Release the locking tab on the side with a small flat screwdriver and gently pull straight up.

Thank you. It didn’t work though! All new batteries.

the connectors are pretty tight IIRC. multiple rubber o-rings or something so gentle wiggling while pulling up on the connector. never pull on the wires.

1 Like