Cheaper

Is it cheaper to convert or buy an all new electric?

if for example you can quantify as one dollar for every hour you spent on your car plus all the materials and equipment you had put into your upgrade, how much would you have spent already for your conversion?

share your costs.

Is it cheaper to buy or convert? Neither. Both are expensive. But if you have the ability to buy a new car but don’t have the funds in the bank for a conversion then buying is the way to go. I did both. I purchased a Leaf and have done two conversions and working on one right now. I drive electric while taking time and plugging in a little at a time converting so I don’t have a large outlay of cash at once. Many do both.

Pete :slight_smile:

From a time standpoint it would always be better to just buy a car.

I think that unless you are highly experienced in the field of converting to an electric vehicle there are various physical and financial risks.

However, can you imagine the feeling when you have created your own electric vehicle?

Naaa! No need to be experienced but you do need to do your homework. I started not knowing a thing. Do your research and you too can build a simple and fun electric car. My first was a 64 VW Ghia then I did a 77 MG Midget and a 65 Bug and now a 62 open top VW Roadster. All with off the shelf parts anyone can buy. You do need to start with a good vehicle or at least a reasonable one. It is true that it costs a bit and that you really don’t get much of any kind of warranty on your parts but if you can live with that then go build one. If not, go buy one, theres plenty now to choose from.

Hi Electricvw

Would it be fair to say that you have to have a genuine interest in electric vehicles and converting a traditional vehicle to electric power, to make this work?

From what I have seen from other members of the forum it seems to be something of a long drawnout process which takes a lot of consideration and stamina to complete?

Its interesting you say that when this forum is about electric cars. Or am I wrong about that?

Its actually a fairly simple process but what many run into is funds. Many want to do this but lack the proper funding to do so.

Can you turn on sending private messages? Can you turn on embedding youtube videos?

Hi Electricvw

I have not gone down the conversion route but some of the members who have discussed the conversion projects seem to suggest it can take a while to complete.

Then again you could well be correct with the comment about funds - and the fact some people may under estimate the amount of money required to complete the conversion.

The more I read about the conversion route the more I think this will be a growing area of the EV market in the future.

The more I read about the conversion route the more I think this will be a growing area of the EV market in the future.

Oh my, its been going on for some time now. My first was 4 years ago. I have electric conversion motors and adaptors that were built in the late 70’s. Where have you been? Actually it has been a very very slow process to build to this point of this many electric cars being converted and built.

Wanted to post some links but can’t yet. Bummer.

[QUOTE=Editor;14853]However, can you imagine the feeling when you have created your own electric vehicle?[/QUOTE]

That’s something money can’t buy! :slight_smile:

Can anyone comment on the difference in running costs before and after converting to electric? It would be interesting to look at the cost of converting, savings in running costs and then we could calculate the “pay back” time.

Both are expensive, but i will prefer to buy a new one.