Build Your Own Electric Vehicle by Bob Bryant?

i am interested in building an electric car. i came across the book Build your own electric car by bob bryant. In the things i have read about it, it claims to be able to turn a late model ford ranger into a fully electric car for less than $10,000, probably closer to $5000 depending on what you pay for parts and where. Has anyone bought or read/used information from this book? does it sound reasonable? i dont want to convert just a 2 door car, i would love to have a fully electric truck so i can still get some use out of it, and i think it would be easier to have the extra space in the bed of the truck. what do you guys think? is it worth buying the book? thanks in advance.

-Tyler

TJ
Sounds reasonable to me; Bob Bryant has been doing this for quite a while and he knows his stuff. I converted my Dodge Ram 50 for $1700 but since I went cheap on the batteries my range and speed are limited. Try “EV Album” - lots of pictures and descriptions of anything you can imagine.
tommyt

[QUOTE=Tom Thomson;2356]TJ
Sounds reasonable to me; Bob Bryant has been doing this for quite a while and he knows his stuff. I converted my Dodge Ram 50 for $1700 but since I went cheap on the batteries my range and speed are limited. Try “EV Album” - lots of pictures and descriptions of anything you can imagine.
tommyt[/QUOTE]

thank you, i appreciate it. i commute 50 miles round trip a day to work and with gas prices close to $4 a gollon here in california, and driveing a ford mustang, im not getting the best mileage and spending a fortune in gas. im hopeing the book will at least guide me in the right direction to build a completely electric truck. thanks alot. BTW what is EV album? is that a book? thanks

-TJ

Ev Album is a website. It has a ton of real life examples of everyday conversion cars.

EValbum.com

Ive got the donar car and am taking the ice parts out now. It looks as if I will have a great rig with range and speed on less than $10k. So I hope it is entirely possible LOL. Im getting a kit from EVA that looks pretty good. It should do around 70miles + at around 50 mph. We shall see.

I do have a battery question though is there a big difference between T105"s and T145’s. Is it just the amps or do you get more cycle’s out of the T145 battries.

[QUOTE=tjames;2344]i am interested in building an electric car. i came across the book Build your own electric car by bob bryant.

-Tyler[/QUOTE]

Go to the library, its there.

I read this book. Lots of charts, specs, etc, confusing math :slight_smile:

But check the book at the library first.

What is good is the info on GVWR and motor dynamics. You don’t have to lay out $1800 for a motor and another $1800 for controller, you CAN get by on less than cutting edge (which is what I’m doing)

Mark

[QUOTE=thetazzbot;2950]Go to the library, its there.

I read this book. Lots of charts, specs, etc, confusing math :slight_smile:

But check the book at the library first.

What is good is the info on GVWR and motor dynamics. You don’t have to lay out $1800 for a motor and another $1800 for controller, you CAN get by on less than cutting edge (which is what I’m doing)

Mark[/QUOTE]

going to check the library first ,any other books to look at ???

isn’t it bob brant? and not bob bryant?
http://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-Own-Electric-Vehicle/dp/0830642315
I have this book and it is alright, if 14usd doesn’t mean much to you, then buy it.

Btw this book is not a “how to manual”

so the name is misleading.

[QUOTE=thetazzbot;3032]Btw this book is not a “how to manual”

so the name is misleading.[/QUOTE]