Charging for city residents with no driveway

I’d like to pose a dilema that cities all over the world are dealing with. Private resident EV owners who park in the street because they don’t have a driveway. How do they charge their car? Say this private resident wants to purchase their own station, where can they put it? I’ve heard some places are allowing residents to buy and install a station on the sidewalk. Then connect it to the resident’s electricity and lock it. The parking spot isn’t reserved for them but if they get it they can unlock their station and charge. This seems like a bad idea to me. It’s counterproductive to the progress of EVs. Adding charging stations on the street that can only be used by one driver seems wasteful. Any reports on how cities are handling this? What do you guys think should be done?

I know that in parking garages they offer it for people that commute to the city for free (in addition to their parking fees) This is how they are doing some of it in Chicago. I dont know about how they would do it for people that park on the street… I’d imagine they just have something installed like a parking meter in that location but as a charger.

The street problem is a tricky one because there will be a cost to the home owner every time the charger is used - why should they be financing the charging habits of strangers?

Could we make people pay for chargers like parking meters?

[QUOTE=Editor;15257]The street problem is a tricky one because there will be a cost to the home owner every time the charger is used - why should they be financing the charging habits of strangers?

Could we make people pay for chargers like parking meters?[/QUOTE]

They do that at Walgreens already with a pay by the hour thing… I’d say incorporate the parking meter and charger into one… if you need it, you pay and you can charge, if not you still pay any way and then it encourages the user to go green… maybe…?

Hi FEUS

I think that would be a great idea :slight_smile:

Mark

[QUOTE=FEUS;15258]They do that at Walgreens already with a pay by the hour thing… I’d say incorporate the parking meter and charger into one… if you need it, you pay and you can charge, if not you still pay any way and then it encourages the user to go green… maybe…?[/QUOTE]

I’m not sure it would encourage people to go green. It would mean the resident who needs a charger would have to pay a meter to park at their own home. This would discourage EV purchases. Non-EV drivers would probably just be annoyed and find parking elsewhere. I suppose there could be hours for the meter part and the charging could be 24/7. Something to consider.

But I think simply charging people for the electricity they use is probably the best route. A lot of logistics to work out with this approach though.

[QUOTE=evinstitute;15268]I’m not sure it would encourage people to go green. It would mean the resident who needs a charger would have to pay a meter to park at their own home. This would discourage EV purchases. Non-EV drivers would probably just be annoyed and find parking elsewhere. I suppose there could be hours for the meter part and the charging could be 24/7. Something to consider.

But I think simply charging people for the electricity they use is probably the best route. A lot of logistics to work out with this approach though.[/QUOTE]

I mean that since you’re already using the meter as it is (to park) you could use it to power your car as well (free with paid parking).

When you dig a little deeper into the possible structure of a recharging network it does start to become a little more complicated than you might expect. The fact is that at some stage ALL EV drivers will be charged for the power they use - we might see some special deals in the early days - but whether this charge incorporates any other services such as parking is an interesting idea.

How about a charging center that is set up like a parking meter you put your coins in and boom it will start charging at a stated rate for a stated time why is this stuff so hard it dose not haft to cost a fortune.