Cart quit

Cart died code 49 - “check resistance and motor”

Car tries to move in reverse no matter what fwd/rev switch setting

Will run reverse no matter what fwd/rev switch setting when off ground.

Apply a little brake and it trips to the error code 49

What are the motor resistance values that I should get?

How am I sure the controller is OK?

wonder if your car needs the recall emergency brake work done? call Lee at 888-677-4961 with your VIN… he can tell you in a minute

Bob

How would that possibly have anything to do with my problem?

Resistances on the motor are ok. I have a 5HP I want to put on it anyway.

Im really leaning toward the controller now. RATS!

Service manual says 1. check wiring. 2. change out controller.

sorry I am just a driver and muddle thru problems…was just a thought… what motor is in your car now… I have an 05 changed my 5hp to a 9.6hm… just pulled one and added the other

Bob

I’m wanting to with a 5 HP. IMHO the car doesn’t have enough brakes for anything over 30 MPH

I’m hoping that Daniel (GEMcarmechanic) or someone else will jump in on this as I don’t have anymore ideas…

as to stopping although I have the big motor I stay between 25 & 30mph… have a favorite 25mph street that I travel most of the time and actually only drive that at about 20mph… the big motor does help on hills… where on the steep ones the 5hp could hit the bottom of them at 25-27mph about half way up the car was down to 15 and at if I was luck I’d top it at 10mph.,. now I can actually gain speed if I need to… I still drive a car or two ahead and most of the time can coast to a stop…

Bob

If you’re going to for a bigger than stock motor and add more top end via controller tweaking (both of which I did), I certainly agree the OEM brakes don’t have enough “whoa power” to go with the “horse power” - at least on my 2001 GEM w/ drum brakes. I finally upgraded my front brakes to disks and that has made a [U]big[/U] difference in stopping power (once the disks broke in).

Al

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;20924]
Im really leaning toward the controller now. RATS!

Service manual says 1. check wiring. 2. change out controller.[/quote]

JAT but you might want to give R4F a call. They can rebuild controllers and might have a suggestion and/or recommendation. Kind of “crusty” to talk with on the phone but they do know their GEMs.

Al

R4F runs a little high for my pocket book. I dropped the controller off at the Dodge Dealer (GEM) in Fruitland Park. These people are the “straightest” dealer people I have ever dealt with. Richard said they would send it off today. The controller was rebuilt in February for the previous owner. I’m hoping the warrenty is valid.

I’m wanting to replace my 3.5 HP motor with a 5. The 5 is an inch longer.

1. Is there enough room to move the upper shock mounting hole outward to clear the 5 HP or do I have to lengthen the bracket?

2. Will the 5 run Ok on the 3.5 programming?

Sounds like you have another good, local source for “all things GEM”. Kind of curious since the controller was rebuilt less than 6 months ago. Do you know who rebuilt it? I’ve been told (by R4F) there are only a couple of shops in the US that actually rebuild these controllers. Let the community know what you find out - always good to have that kind of information out there.

Good luck!

Al

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;20931]I’m wanting to replace my 3.5 HP motor with a 5. The 5 is an inch longer.

1. Is there enough room to move the upper shock mounting hole outward to clear the 5 HP or do I have to lengthen the bracket?

2. Will the 5 run Ok on the 3.5 programming?[/quote]

I think the answer to both questions is yes. As far as I know the 3.5->5 upgrade is a bolt-on and the programming will work fine - you’ll just have a bit more torque at your command. Top end, regen, etc will all work the same.

Al