Gem Car motor issues

Good morning. I have a 6 passenger Gem Car 72volt. I am having an issue with it. It will go forward fine but when you put it in reverse it sends sparks flying out of the electric motor. Has anyone had this issue and can lead me in the right direction to fix this issue. Thank you for your time.

DON’T TRY TO MOVE THE CART UNDER POWER!!!. Determine the problem and repair or replace the motor.

Ididn’t and it cost me $454 to have the controller rebuilt

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;24370]DON’T TRY TO MOVE THE CART UNDER POWER!!!. Determine the problem and repair or replace the motor.

Ididn’t and it cost me $454 to have the controller rebuilt[/quote]
I am not even sure if the issue is in the motor or controller. I need a tech guide to figure out what the problem is.

If the sparks are coming from the motor it’s probably not the controller.

If the motor is shorted it will take out the controller.

1 Is the transmission secure, it could be moving and the electrical terminals coming in contact with the frame?

2 Remove the splash shield and look for any evidence of residule electrical sparking.

1. Check for loose wires in the area of sparking. Make sure the armature and field posts on the motor are tight and dont wiggle.

4 Remove motor cover and check for loose brushes/holders. Make sure bearing is tight and smooth.

OK I will ck it out. It is just weird that it runs forward just fine but in reverse it’s like the forth of July lol

Heed the advice of these experts. I wouldn’t drive it at all until I have had a look at things.

Question though, did it still go in reverse while it spits sparks? Or were you getting sparks and no movement? I would think that would give you a better indication of where it’s shorting out.

But hell, you should see some black marks at the point of failure!

[quote=rayhaque;24375]Heed the advice of these experts. I wouldn’t drive it at all until I have had a look at things.

Question though, did it still go in reverse while it spits sparks? Or were you getting sparks and no movement? I would think that would give you a better indication of where it’s shorting out.

But hell, you should see some black marks at the point of failure![/quote]

I get sparks the moment the pedal is applied. No movement because it sparks at an instant.