Brake light

Newbie, with another question. I have a 2002 gem car. My right brake light will not come on. The night time light and right turn signal work. But when the brake is pressed, the left one works but the right one does not. I changed the light bulb, no help. Any suggestions? thanks manny

I changed the fuse, not the problem. I reversed the connections: left electrical wiring to the right rear tail light and vice-versa. Now the right brake light turns on, and the left does not. So the problem is the right electrical wiring which leads to the right rear light. Now i need help, my minimal mechanical skills are done. Thanks for any help, manny

Take the rear seat off and check all those connections. I had a loose one from the factory to the right brake light.

Thanks for answering back. I have tried almost everything, The pigtail harness which connects to the tail lights, I have done everything, but still one brake light will not work.

You probably had the same slacker assembling your Gem as I did. Take the bottom seat cushion out and look for two nuts that hold the seatback in place. Take those out, remove the seatback and all the wiring and connections for the taillights will be visible. The right brakelight was not connected at all and several were not fully pushed together.

I have an intermittent pin in the three wire connector that lays on top of the batteries under the seat that causes the right rear brake light to not work. I cleaned it but it will probably need to be replaced.

[QUOTE=chuckkent;13221]I have an intermittent pin in the three wire connector that lays on top of the batteries under the seat that causes the right rear brake light to not work. I cleaned it but it will probably need to be replaced.[/QUOTE]
chuckkent, thanks for replying. what is an intermittent pin? can you send a pic? where can you buy one? frustrated in phoenix, thanks manny

Go to a autoparts store. Buy a three wire connector kit (male and female). I would crimp and solder all pins and sockets. Not expensive. There are several other loose wires you could combine in another kit to dress things up.

[QUOTE=chuckkent;13237]Go to a autoparts store. Buy a three wire connector kit (male and female). I would crimp and solder all pins and sockets. Not expensive. There are several other loose wires you could combine in another kit to dress things up.[/QUOTE]
more dumb questions to chuckkent: this male=female kit is this going where the pigtail harness connects with that large black electric cable (which is on the bottom of the back seat with the other batteries)? thanks

chuckkent: I believe it is one black wire that is the problem. The pigtail harness has one black wire and the thick electrical cable has one black wire. Can I just cut only those black wires from the male-female connections and then twist tie them together??? thanks clueless in phoenix, thanks again for the help

Yes it is the thick cable that runs down the back of the seat. It is the black with blue stripe wire. You could by pass the connector. The connection in the connector on my car is bad. The connector is really too little light for the brake light current.

[QUOTE=wmgrd;13257]Manny you could by-pass the connector. The wiring harness you might want to inspect to see where you have a loss of power. Either the connector has a poor contact or the wiring is cut somewhere. It would be a good idea to inspect the wire from the right tail light to the connector to be sure it did not rub against something and cut the wiring, because if this is the case you will have other wires in the harness rubbing against something.

Marlon[/QUOTE]
Thanks Marlon for replying. I have changed the bulb, new pigtail harness which goes to the tail light-- still right rear brake light will not turn on. If I flip flop the connections of the pigtail harness to the tail light, now the left brake light will not work. So my problem is somewhere prior to the pigtail harness. Chuckkent recommended by passing the female-male connector where the main electric cable and pigtail connect, there might be a short. Very frustrating paid 12k for a 2002 fixed up lifted gem car, and one week later a brake light problem. Any other suggestions, thanks

[QUOTE=wmgrd;13261]Ok here is a quick fix. Since you know the left is working. Take the hot wire on the left light and connect it to the right hot wire. Just make a jumper wire connecting the left to the right so when the brakes are applied the lights come on. Just do not connect the turn signal hot wires otherwise you will have two left lights.

Marlon[/QUOTE]
I just by passed the pigtail-main cable connector-- same result, no right brake light. I thought of the same thing Marlon about the brake lights. But unfortunately, my arm (to make turn signals) does not glow at night.

Another dumb question from a newbie? The brake sensor switch if not working properly, would either have both lights on or off? It would not just work on one, correct?? Where can you get a gem mechanic in Phoenix, AZ? thanks

There are two switches on the brake peddle arm one operates the brake light the other is a brake over travel switch. If it is not positioned right your turn signal and brake light will operate weird. That maybe your problem. It took a while for me to get it adjusted right.

thanks marlon- I have a gem 2002 4 passenger car -no trunk. Yes I have a volt meter.

thanks Marlon, my email is galvezpeds@hotmail.com