Battery Charger Surging

I plug my GEM in everynight and forget about it. The other day I happened to be in the garage after it had been charging a while and noticed that the charger seemed to be restarting numerous times. I didn’t hear the initial three beeps but it would surge down and then back up a few times. Eventually it started charging at its normal hum again. Is this normal?

This sounds like the Zivan NG1 charger. Pre-2005 GEM. What you heard is not entirely normal but isnt bad either. the charger may do this as it monitors battery voltages. And if there is a bad battery in the pack its possible the charger may recognize that to suddenly decrease current output then ramp up again. However, the fan doesnt necessarily operate based on current & voltage output, but also heat of the unit internally. I would load test the batteries for kicks and grins and inspect water levels if flooded batteries, clean the batteries, tighten the cables and then inspect the AC circuit you are plugged in to. If the lien voltage drops a bit the power surges on the charger as well. In California there are terrible power grids with low levels of power from time to time. Not knowing where you’re located but best buess at the moment.

Thanks for your help.

Just purchased a 2000 gem e-2 825s, bought from a widow in lasvegas… She bought 3 new batteries from dealer out there… (had one bad still–acrroding to dealer— Apparently needed 6… So I bought 3 more of the same. Had it trailered to me in MO… Charged it to get off trialer, and charged that night. NO issues. They i cruised the neigborhood, plugged it back in and now the red light comes one, but them it flashes and yellow light blinks… BOOK says, charger problem. consult a tech… It only has 990 hours TOTAL on it. ANY HELP would be appreitiated… Im 180 miles from anywhere…

yellow flashing with alarm indicates bad temperature sensor - it probably got corroded from the water based flooded batteries before that more likely were cooked out and boiled over. The acid probably destroyed the temp sensor. New sensor harness should cover it. Call GEM for parts. phone number is on their web site www.nevservice.biz

Wow, that was quick, and right in line with what GEM says… I appreacite the reply and hopefully this will do the trick… Have a GREAT CHRISTMAS…

je

[QUOTE=nev.tech;8479]This sounds like the Zivan NG1 charger. Pre-2005 GEM. What you heard is not entirely normal but isnt bad either. the charger may do this as it monitors battery voltages. And if there is a bad battery in the pack its possible the charger may recognize that to suddenly decrease current output then ramp up again. However, the fan doesnt necessarily operate based on current & voltage output, but also heat of the unit internally. I would load test the batteries for kicks and grins and inspect water levels if flooded batteries, clean the batteries, tighten the cables and then inspect the AC circuit you are plugged in to. If the lien voltage drops a bit the power surges on the charger as well. In California there are terrible power grids with low levels of power from time to time. Not knowing where you’re located but best buess at the moment.[/QUOTE]

I am having the same problem and your solution helped me…So thanks for your help and if you ever need any sort of help do let me know please… :slight_smile:

auto repair minneapolis

did you end up putting a sensor on? I have purchased one but have not installed yet… Maybe tonight…

[QUOTE=Aldis;8659]I am having the same problem and your solution helped me…So thanks for your help and if you ever need any sort of help do let me know please… :)[/QUOTE]