GEM car needs blue pill

I have a 2002 GEM car used primarily around the neighborhood and going golfing. My trip including golf is 8 miles over a 4 hour period. Problem is the GEM only goes 7 miles and shuts down. I have charged the batteries and let set for 12 hours then checked the specific gravity. It is all in the 1275 to 1300 range. Has anyone else had this short distance problem? All cables are clean and corrosion free. Any help appreciated. Thanksā€¦:confused:

it seems lately people have been haivng that problem not being able to get a 100% charge, but merely a 97-99% charge. We havnā€™t heard back from anyone thats fixed their problem all the way, but i think New Dawn had the closest to sucess solution, he checked all the batteries and found out there was one not quite the same charge as the rest of them making the charge not as full.

Hi-
Iā€™m a GEM owner and modifier. You have to remember -that the quality of the batteries is paramount in any electric car. Your specific gravity can be spot-on, but your batteries can be totally shot. 7 miles till dead? They are gone.
The test of any battery is - [I]does it take a charge and deliver itā€™s energy as per the spec of the battery[/I]. By saying that it has a 7 mile range, you by definition have bad batteries (unless your charger is shotā€¦unlikely).
Typical GEM vehicles have a range of 28 miles until the batteries are down at 20% (the lowest you should EVER discharge them). If they have been discharged below this, the battery is probably damaged. Also, if the electrolyte has ever been let to go down under the plateā€™s top level, the battery is damaged. Iā€™d bet my prize pig Elmer that you need a new set of Trojan 130AH batteries. Donā€™t buy cheap batteriesā€¦they just wonā€™t work. You are asking an Olympic feat of power from these batteries. Only the best will do. The batteries like to be charged and usedā€¦and they like to be warm.
They take a charge best right after discharging them. Let them stabilize for an hour after charging before using if possible.

Good luck!

Bob - Hot Springs :cool:

Just an additional comment: the range for any EV that uses lead acid batteries is affected by the outside temperature. For example, my EV, without some way of keeping the batteries warm, would have a range of less than 6 miles when the temperature is down in the teens - even with brand new batteries.

[QUOTE=Kreblon;4746]Hi-
Iā€™m a GEM owner and modifier. You have to remember -that the quality of the batteries is paramount in any electric car. Your specific gravity can be spot-on, but your batteries can be totally shot. 7 miles till dead? They are gone.
The test of any battery is - [I]does it take a charge and deliver itā€™s energy as per the spec of the battery[/I]. By saying that it has a 7 mile range, you by definition have bad batteries (unless your charger is shotā€¦unlikely).
Typical GEM vehicles have a range of 28 miles until the batteries are down at 20% (the lowest you should EVER discharge them). If they have been discharged below this, the battery is probably damaged. Also, if the electrolyte has ever been let to go down under the plateā€™s top level, the battery is damaged. Iā€™d bet my prize pig Elmer that you need a new set of Trojan 130AH batteries. Donā€™t buy cheap batteriesā€¦they just wonā€™t work. You are asking an Olympic feat of power from these batteries. Only the best will do. The batteries like to be charged and usedā€¦and they like to be warm.
They take a charge best right after discharging them. Let them stabilize for an hour after charging before using if possible.

Good luck!

Bob - Hot Springs :cool:[/QUOTE]

2000 gemā€¦ just bought from a widow in vegasā€¦ she had 3 batteries replaced with marine deep cycle batteriesā€¦ NOT SURE why not 6ā€¦ anyway, still was one badā€¦ so i replaced the other 3 with the sameā€¦ PER DEALERSHIPā€¦ had it shipped to MO, and now when i plug in it starts to charge, and then the light turns yellow and beepsā€¦ any ideasā€¦

GEMowner, has your Zivan NG1 charger been upgraded? We have three 2002 GEMs, and all of them have been upgraded by Electric Conversions, the Zivan representative in the US. Cost is less than $150. We have had this same problem with batteries not charging fully.

jrejr2345, what charger is in your GEM? If you have the Zivan NG1, the yellow flash alarm indicates the thermal sensor is bad or disconnected. Electric conversions, the Zivan representative in the US will provide you with a resistance / temperature table for testing purposes, or they will also sell you a new sensor which plugs into the top of the charger. If you have the older Schott charger, you may want to upgrade as charging technology has improved considerably in the past decade.

Daniel

How does discharging below 20% hurt the battery? Will once hurt it or is it cumulative? Thanks Dave

Hello,
If the temperature is very low, extreme discharge will allow a flooded battery to freeze. This can destroy the battery because hydrostatic expansion will crack, distort, or short out the plates. Also, if the case is cracked by expansion, the electrolyte will leak out. Deep cycle batteries are rated by the approximate number of discharges to a given percentage. The deeper the discharge, the fewer cycles until the battery fails. A multitude of other factors will determine battery longevity.

Daniel

Thanksā€¦ I honestly DONT KNOW what cahrger i haveā€¦ according to NEV biz, I need a thermal sensor as well. HOPE its not just disconnectedā€¦ I have ordered one, and will repost after i install itā€¦ ANY SUGGESTIONS on thatā€¦ IM NOT mech inclined, but have a good friend who is a very good REG mechanicā€¦ I hoping he can do itā€¦ You know of any videos on youtube to followā€¦ thanks

[QUOTE=GEMmechanic;8582]GEMowner, has your Zivan NG1 charger been upgraded? We have three 2002 GEMs, and all of them have been upgraded by Electric Conversions, the Zivan representative in the US. Cost is less than $150. We have had this same problem with batteries not charging fully.

jrejr2345, what charger is in your GEM? If you have the Zivan NG1, the yellow flash alarm indicates the thermal sensor is bad or disconnected. Electric conversions, the Zivan representative in the US will provide you with a resistance / temperature table for testing purposes, or they will also sell you a new sensor which plugs into the top of the charger. If you have the older Schott charger, you may want to upgrade as charging technology has improved considerably in the past decade.

Daniel[/QUOTE]

jrejr2345,
NEV.BIZ is the GEM factory. GEM technical support can tell what charger you have based on the serial number from the chassis. In 2000, there were two chargers used in GEMs, but only the Zivan has a thermal probe. Pop the ā€œhoodā€ on your GEM and look around the two front batteries for a wire with a little metal can on the end. This is the thermal probe. Some tools are needed to replace this as the probe wiring also includes the charger indicator lamp on the instrument cluster.

Daniel

Thanks for helpā€¦ Part should be here in a few daysā€¦ HOPEFULLY this does the trickā€¦ I am ready for spring and the linksā€¦ Its 18 deg here todayā€¦ Accroding to them, its what i needā€¦ THanks againā€¦

[QUOTE=GEMmechanic;8608]jrejr2345,
NEV.BIZ is the GEM factory. GEM technical support can tell what charger you have based on the serial number from the chassis. In 2000, there were two chargers used in GEMs, but only the Zivan has a thermal probe. Pop the ā€œhoodā€ on your GEM and look around the two front batteries for a wire with a little metal can on the end. This is the thermal probe. Some tools are needed to replace this as the probe wiring also includes the charger indicator lamp on the instrument cluster.

Daniel[/QUOTE]

where is the probeā€¦ bought a new sensorā€¦ OLD one NOT hooked upā€¦ were does probe hook upā€¦

weres the probe connect too

The thermal probe connects to the top of the battery charger. There is only one place on the charger to connect the probe, so it canā€™t be done wrong. Zivan, the charger manufacturer, has great technical support through their dealer, Electric Conversions.

Daniel

thanks and please excuse the my ignormanceā€¦ When we popped the hood, they OLD brass end was just laying by the batteryā€¦ so we thought it was just unhookedā€¦ We didnt install the new oneā€¦ we secured the old one, tight to the battery under the battery holder bracketā€¦ That seems to do the trick, as it has charged to a GREEN lightā€¦ MAYBE its just LUCKY, and still wrongā€¦ is ther a place on the net i can download service manualā€¦ I see some on ebayā€¦ like $5 for a downloadā€¦ ANYONE downt thatā€¦ GEM wants $115ā€¦ thanks and sorry for the stupid questionsā€¦

everything going smooth til i plugged in last nightā€¦ charger wont start to work. outlet and cord are goodā€¦ any thoughtsā€¦ fuse??

Do you mean a manual for the charger or a manual for the GEM itself? The charger manual is a free download at:
Zivan NG1 Battery Charger
They will also answer questions about the charger. We have four GEMs that use this Italian made Zivan NG1 charger. Overall, they have been reliable and the Zivan dealer has provided good service and support. After close to ten years of use, all four GEMs have now had their chargers serviced and upgraded. This is not expensive and fixes a programing error common to the older chargers. This also allows the charger to be loaded with the exact characteristics of your batteries.

Daniel

GEMmechanic,
I have a 2002 that I bought used last year and have the yellow flashing two tone alarm going off but my batteries are not hot, so it appears to either be the sensor or I need the upgrades on the charger. What would be your next move since I do not know if the charger has been upgraded?

Thanks for your input,
Lee

[QUOTE=GEMmechanic;8582]GEMowner, has your Zivan NG1 charger been upgraded? We have three 2002 GEMs, and all of them have been upgraded by Electric Conversions, the Zivan representative in the US. Cost is less than $150. We have had this same problem with batteries not charging fully.

Daniel[/QUOTE]

I know the 2002 model year well as we bought several GEMs that year. We have replaced one of these sensors a few years ago. I would recommend that you call the Zivan dealer, Electric Conversions, at 916-441-4161. They have been very helpful to us in the past and will help you with troubleshooting. Most often the thermistor (that tiny tin can at the end of the wire by the battery) is out of range. They will provide you with a temperature to resistance comparison chart. If the charger has been upgraded in the past, there should be a small sticker on it which reads"micro upgraded." If not, the charger should be upgraded. Electric conversions will update the software and test various internal components.

Daniel

okā€¦ got the first issue resolved with a RIDE FOR FUN CHARGER ($700). seemed flawlessā€¦ would play 18 holes of golf another mile total to and from coarseā€¦ NO HICKUPS at allā€¦ still had above 50% cahrge when doneā€¦ week ago, i got in 9, and had issuesā€¦ SO checked the batteriesā€¦ Had ONE that was only cranking 175. So i replaced it with the same as was in itā€¦ 675 cc amp everlast. charged right up, and thought i had it fixed. well i got in 18, and had issues on the way homeā€¦ it will come and goā€¦ -15 codeā€¦ i turn it off and back on and get another few 100 yearsā€¦ i contine to do this and cut through neighbors yard, and make it. SAME thing yeasturdayā€¦ anyt thoughtsā€¦ when i checked the batteries orginally, one was at 500cc, instead of 675 as wellā€¦ Should i change this one too??? I mainly play golf in it, and live in NE MO, so season is getting shorter. I dont want to drop $800-$1200 in batteries in NOV. ANY ideasā€¦

thanks

Daniel[/QUOTE]