Any way to stop 2002 Gem from braking hard at 28mph and or slightly braking at 25?

Every time i get near 25 mph the car governs and brakes on and off making the ride really jerky. At around 28mph the car violently brakes and slows you to about 18. Is there a way to turn off the governor or at least make the braking more mild or to set it to a little higher of a speed?

The pre-2005 controller in your GEM is programmable with a connector that attaches to a computer. I have used one of these, but do not recall who I purchased it from on Ebay. Larger diameter tires will fool the controller into thinking the GEM is going slower than its true speed. There are also numerous transmission ratios. A call to the factory parts department with the VIN will confirm what ratio your’s has. Even taller ratio sets are available from Ride for Fun. The GEM is governed because 25 is the fastest speed it is legally allowed to operate.

Daniel

You may want to consider a controller re-program. The controller can be dialed-in for your specific driving needs in addition to re-programming the governor.I know there are programming kits avialable, but I don’t have direct expereince with them. I know Ride-4-Fun does programming with the purhcase of the 7.5HP motor. Maybe they can program your controller with your stock motor to your requirements.

Good luck.

[QUOTE=Susp3nc3;9417]Every time i get near 25 mph the car governs and brakes on and off making the ride really jerky. At around 28mph the car violently brakes and slows you to about 18. Is there a way to turn off the governor or at least make the braking more mild or to set it to a little higher of a speed?[/QUOTE]

Just barely depress the gas pedal when you go down hills. I have gotten my GEM up to 33 mph by using this technique. You’ll have to have a light touch on the accelerator pedal, but it works.