Ammeter

Hi everyone!

I am not building an electric car but I am planning on installing an ammeter into my car (05 Camry). I would like to monitor the current since I have a lot of accessories. I understand the basics of how to install a shunt and wire the entire setup.
I have a specific style gauge in mind:

4-1/2 Blue LED DC 200A Digital Current AMP Panel Meter | eBay

Here is the shunt

DC 200A 75mV Current Shunt Good4 Digital Analog meter | eBay

Now I don’t see the current, correct me if I am wrong, going over 200a while I am driving, even at full load. This of course excludes cranking. My question is though, If i install a 200a shunt, and I know the starter draws much more than that, will the shunt be like a fusible link and blow? I am hoping it will only read a max of 200a but let much more current through, or would drawing more current through a 200a shunt fry the meter and open the system?

Ahhh I love projects! Awesome site BTW! :usa2:

[QUOTE=Ammeter;11482]Hi everyone!

I am not building an electric car but I am planning on installing an ammeter into my car (05 Camry). I would like to monitor the current since I have a lot of accessories. I understand the basics of how to install a shunt and wire the entire setup.
I have a specific style gauge in mind:

4-1/2 Blue LED DC 200A Digital Current AMP Panel Meter | eBay

Here is the shunt

DC 200A 75mV Current Shunt Good4 Digital Analog meter | eBay

Now I don’t see the current, correct me if I am wrong, going over 200a while I am driving, even at full load. This of course excludes cranking. My question is though, If i install a 200a shunt, and I know the starter draws much more than that, will the shunt be like a fusible link and blow? I am hoping it will only read a max of 200a but let much more current through, or would drawing more current through a 200a shunt fry the meter and open the system?

Ahhh I love projects! Awesome site BTW! :usa2:[/QUOTE]

Thats a easy question to ask with a question. Would you install a 3 amp fuse in a 10 amp circuit?