Adventures in CAN land

I was able to spend a little time with that “digital wrench” diag port on the EM1400LSV. I found there are a lot of people selling an ODBII cable for the Polaris Slingshot at a price that makes me way too lazy to build my own. I put an OBDII pigtail on that cable and hooked it up to a generic CAN adapter. I am able to read the Sevcon config registers, and it appears the Sevcon is set up to broadcast a bunch of data already, every 200 ms. I think I should be able one of these days to build a little dashboard and maybe allow configuration of a few things.

Speaking of configuration, now that I am talking to the Sevcon, which register are you changing that turns up top speed?

-James

Speed is not controlled by Sevcon, sorry.

Yeah, I know I am reinventing the wheel. I recently retired from some developing software and hardware systems not related to vehicles and find this really interesting. I will be talking to my motor home next. :grin: Thanks for mentioning the VCM, I now can find some posts on this form related to it and how this thing actually works is becoming clearer.

I may even put together a wiki page so the next curious fellows don’t have to sift through years of this forum to get started.

1 Like

Just to clear up my confusion, is the 2015 em1400 lsv controlled differently than the 2014 or am I missing something?
In Magic magnet km/p Version - #25 by Inwo I see that for the 2014 you are saying it just needs to be turned with max speed in motor settings and rpm in the main drive profile. Above I was wondering what values you changed and from what to what, thinking the 2015 was the same way. Now I am confused?

I’m sorry. I was thinking new Gems. 2016-2023.
Em-1400 are controlled by the sevcon controller.
Just turn up rpm in main drive profile.

No worries! I am sure all the years and types are a mess to keep straight. This week I got new bearings, rotors and brake pads on the front of my Em1400 and it drives (and sounds) great again. I might drop new bearings in the back but for the most part I think I am ready to get back to poking at the programming this coming week. Do you happen to remember the default value and what you change it to?

Never mind I have it figured out! CanOPEN 2920h subindex 5 is RPM in forward. I set it it 9000 to test and was up in the 30-34 mph range (depending on wind). So I can now change these settings without the DVT software or that expensive USB device. (though the DVT software may still speed up the process later).

I was surprised the settings stuck on key off in my quick test. I wonder if I would have to pull all power to get it to reset or if I just didn’t have the key off long enough.

Any settings in drive profiles can be changed on the fly.

So new question as learn my way through this data. Looks like the “locked” max speed in the drive profile was 6180. Reading through the posts on the forum I have seen talk of changing it to both 9500 and 10000. I set mine to 9000 on my first test to be safe and got the 34 mph-ish speed.

Looking at the face plate for the motor, the rpm listed is 2940 and I also found 2940 entered properly in the face plate data of the Sevcon. Given that, how was the max safe rpm arrived at? Does 10k=2940 at the motor?

Nameplate data is “remark”. Just so you can see what the dcf is for.
Any induction motor can spin 9000.
Profile rpm is limited by max rpm in motor settings. You should be able to find it looking at text file.
Be aware that some settings can only be changed in program mode.

Iirc, profile rpm limits speed. But max rpm triggers a fault. If you are not faulting at high speed, max speed must be set high enough.

There are 3 locations for profile rpm limits. You must have hit the right one.
The other two are for unused drive modes as listed in gen 4 manual.
See if they are mapped. If the are, enter other drive modes by bringing mapped pin low.