A little fresh air(shocks) never hurt anybody

My contact was extremely helpful. Tell them the weight per shock or the wire size and length.
I only stopped for lack of interest. No need for them myself.
Someone needs to buy a few samples and post the results.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/2803037

I’d also recommend talking to QA1. I reached out to them thinking they may have supplied the OEM shocks but we weren’t able to confirm that. The rep I spoke with was very knowledgeable and eager to help find something that would work but I wasn’t ready to go down that path yet. Message me if you’d like the contact info for the rep I spoke with.

1 Like

Some sellers will let you return the shocks if they are not damaged and show no where. Many people have played around with different shocks but no one seems to see it threw and report back on a solution. Hopefully someone will come threw with somthjng

QA1 was a great help when a group went to put aftermarket shocks on our Polaris Slingshots. I agree with @RS_E6 that it is worth a phone call.

I’m of the thinking that air adjustable are the only solution for our Gems, especially those of us with 4 seaters. With lithium batteries, the weight of my empty Gem is very close to the weight of 4 large passengers, yet my <100 lb daughter also drives the car. Essentially, the suspension has to be able to handle a load range of 100% variance. Any setup that is not quickly adjustable for spring rate and even dampening is going to be sub-optimal a significant portion of the time. If I ever get ambitious again, my energy will be applied toward an air shock solution.

1 Like

I am out of town next week, but I am going to start working on this soon. as my 4 seater 2002 is too stiff and does not ride nice at all with wife and two kids.

1 Like

Was pretty impressed with these shock specs:

370mm (14.56") total length

340mm (13.38") eye to eye

Eye Diameter: 10mm/12mm/14mm

Spring thickness: 12mm

Max loading: 300 kg (661bl)

@Tyson_Davis to be honest I am not sure about The corner weights for your conversion but with all the lead out of the rear of the car you could use two bathroom scales. Put one scale under each tire and that will give you your corner weight for your configuration. Do front then back. I would consider keeping some weight to the rear to keep As close to stock weight balance and prevent nose diving. Too light if rear could make it to want to come around in hard braking situations.

@Naetdogg. Are you running lithium’s

Your stats say max load 661. Is that for a pair or for each shock. I know the stock shocks we have now are around 400 max per shock

Looking for a softer ride not a stiffer ride.

Thanks for helping I do appreciate it

Sorry I was looking for both a direct replacement for the lead acid and lithium for the old McPherson style suspension.

So the OEM shock absorber is rated around 400lbs? Still trying to figure out all the specs needed for the various applications. Pretty fun info to learn though!

@Tyson_Davis I wanted to give you an update. I recently converted my car to lithium. My original setup was 4 led acid under rear seat, two up front and an extra battery under front passenger seat to run stereo. My new setup has all the lithium under rear seat and the battery for the stereo is now under the hood. When I finished the conversion project the car was 290lbs lighter and sits higher. The top front tire camber is now 1.5” out from the top of tire to bottom. The weight loss and the change in ride height matches pretty close to the shock load figures I originally sent you. To correct the camber I drilled new shock bolt mounting holes 3/4” higher from where it was and the front tires now sit almost square. 1/8 higher would have been perfect. Oh well this will compensate for passenger weight and should sit square. Have not driven yet but I am sure the ride will be way different.

After pic was taken before new shock mount holes were drilled.

Thanks for sharing! I’m running lithium in my 2013 E6 and it too has significant positive camber at the front wheels. I bought the car with no batteries so I had no reference for the lead acid ride height. I suspected that could be the source of the camber but it seemed too drastic of a change and my suspension has plenty of shot bushing which I’m currently replacing. Once I finish replacing them I’ll need to see about adjusting the shock mount points.

@bundcur, I too have positive camber on my front wheels, I was hoping once I have time to find softer shocks that the softer shocks would take care of the positive camber.
Can you take a pic where you drilled and positioned your shocks as this sounds like a good idea.
Thanks for posting and trying to help all of us out.

Anyone recognize the brand? Can’t quite tell how much modification was needed (past that of the custom bed) were necessary to mount these.

They look like these ones:

I was interested to see how they fit those in the front as the reservoirs look like they might not clear but it looks like they kept the front shocks original.

00T0T_1MEFtc031TJ_600x450

I just got my front control arms back after having new bushings pressed in. Hope to get them reinstalled tonight and then figure out what the proper shock length needs to be to fix my front camber. Next would be measuring the front and rear vehicle weight.

I took a quick look at the shock mounts the other day to see if there was enough clearance and material to re-drill the mount points but it didn’t look too promising to me. There might be enough there but I need to measure how much I’d need to adjust it by first. Ultimately I’m really hoping to find a reasonably price air suspension setup.

When my job finally slows down I was going to call RFY and try out a pair of the 340mm on the front. I am still trying to figure out the rest as those will not fit with out cutting away fiberglass on the rear panel

I have the short bed on my E6 (think that makes it an E6s) so I don’t think I’ll have clearance Issues in the rear. My concern is I think they might not be strong enough to support the weight with passengers. I need to weigh the front and rear of the car with and without passengers.

I went ahead and gave RFY shocks a try I ordered these.

Well I was able to install on the driver side upside down. Because the reservoir and arm would not fit in the top bracket. Which I was fine with for the moment.

Then went over to the passenger side and I could not get it to fit what so ever because it was going to hit the engine.

I am back to the drawing board.

The shock I did get on still seems stiff. The description said 300kg or 661pounds. So now I am looking for 400 pound shocks that don’t have a side Reservoir

Any suggestions
I am looking for 340 mm / 13.5 length with 12mm eye hole. That are for around 400 pound max. Or less.

I saw these in Nev accessories but not 100% sure how they mount. Wonder if these would help on the passenger side?

http://www.nevaccessories.com/GEM-CAR-SHOCK-EXTENSION-MOUNTING-BRACKET/productinfo/GEM-SEMB/