2019 Gem E2 - 48V battery charging issue and QuIQ fault

Hello,

I’ve got a 48V AGM 450Ah (8, 6V batteries in series) configuration on my GEM E2 and the QuIQ charger is displaying insufficient battery level faults. I have tested the battery pack and reading around 46V under no load. I disconnected the two supply wires from the battery pack to charger and only getting continuity on one wire (-) tested in both directions and no open voltage reading across the connector from the battery pack. Unsure on what the electrical schematic looks like between charger and battery pack. Does anyone have any tips or experience to help guide me in the right direction? A recent electrical schematic would be greatly appreciated as well. Thank you!

Reason for no continuity, a relay contact from the BMC is open until BMC is happy.
What does dash soc say?
Also look for fault code on charger. Red light!

check the discharge circuit

Fault code on charger is showing this:

Vehicle not turning on at all

That’s different!
From question, I thought it was a charging issue.

If car is dead, your 12v battery is dead.

Thank you, we are having a charging issue as the charger is not detecting batteries present even though pack voltage is reading somewhere around 46.5V. Charger manual indicates still being able to charge at this voltage level.

But not if the car is dead. Ie, no 12v battery.
If you need to charge now for some reason, jumper the bmc charger relay hanging front of charger.
One contact goes to B+ the other to QuiQ B+ out.

Thank you. Can you elaborate a bit more on the location of BMC and you mean bypassing the relay correct? Will the vehicle not allow charge completely dead?

Correct, check your 12v battery under dash.

Correct, check you 12v battery under dash.

@cvvautier
Note: Inwo is talking about the 12v Accessory battery under the dash. It is different and separate battery from your Main Drive 48v battery pack under the seats.

Thank you all! Will try that.

Don’t forget the blinker fluid. Everyone forgets to check the blinker fluid.

Btw, if you are low on it, I think Auto Zone is having a sale on synthetic if you buy it by the case

1 Like