2017 Project Car

“Necessity is the mother of invention”
My 2017 had pretty good range in stock form
14inch wheels and 17:1 transmission

I would say my first mod switching out to Rodney’s 12:35 Transmission, took away 25% range. But I got to go 35Mph.

Then adding the larger heavier 17inch wheels that took away another 20% range.

So NOW I pretty much killed the cars range, Can’t go to far from home because I just don’t have the range and It’s no fun to have to keep looking at the SOC gauge on the dash. So the stock flooded lead acid pack is comming out.

This is going in.

Is that with a stock motor or your 8KW replacement?
Any programming changes either with current setup or after installation of new battery?
What’s the detail and KWH rating of the battery going in?

The 60v bolt is a Experiment. Dave said it will work and that’s enough for me to dive in.

The first test is to see what a 60+ volt battery with no controller changes is like. If it works and I like it I’m gonna double down. (For now)
I’m gonna do a big a$$ 60v pack 30 cells 60v
Close to 30kw

My math might have been off if I told you that.
3.7v x 160ah x 60 ~ 17kwh

85 miles @ 200w/mile

Or another way.
Full pack of 96 cells is 66kwh (google) or 687.5w/cell x 30 cells
20.625 kwh
100 miles

In any case miles are guesses.

Grant,
Is that 12:35 to 10:35? I thought you went to at 10:35?

A Tesla battery will slide in right on the floor board under and between the seat’s, that’s what I will be doing. 240aH - no need to look at the SOC for a very long time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mike my car has now the 12:35. I don’t think Rodney has a 10:35. I thought your 2 options for the 2016+ cars are 12:35 or 9:8:1

And my Monster 48 volt pack would be
320 ah and 17.5 kwh :slight_smile:

The battery is getting installed. I should have something to report back today. Dave was nice enough to get a Delta Q programmer for me. So I will be able to get the correct charge profile loaded. For now I’ll have to “test” With a 1/2 full Bolt Pack

Out

1 Like

Looking good @grantwest

@grantwest is that Plexi?

It’s a thick ABS style plastic. It can be drilled and tapped. I just used to make a base and barrier between road grime and weather and a battery base

8kw motor update.
MVC-011F
72v lead in 2000lb car

1 Like

Wow great results. I’m happy to report I’m having good luck as well.

Hope for MikeKC to be testing tonight.
I’m sick of working on heavy parts. Need more partners!

Dave: Please let me know how I can help. Greg

I was only venting my lack of progress. I’m afraid this is a money pit for the few of us working with ac motors.
Should know more this weekend. Man, how many times have I said that!