2016 Windshield Wipers stuck ON

have you heard of 2016 Gem cars windshield wipers getting stuck in the ON position. They will not turn off the Switch on the stock has no effect.

We have 2 2016 Gems and now both of them have had this happen. On car number 1 it never drives in the rain so we just took out the fuse for that option but car #2 drives in the rain all the time

I’m not sure what the '16 switch looks like but I’ve had a few switches go bad internally and not turn off (not on a gem though). It’s possible that the design/ build quality is poor for that type of switch. Have you taken it out and tested it?

Most likely the motor. If it is, disconnect the “always on” wire and stop wiper with the switch.

Could it be the Motor has “Lost Ground” and that’s causes a constant On?

There is constant power to motor. That allows it to run “home” after switch is turned off.
If internal switch isn’t opening it will continue to run.
Disconnect one of the three wires at a time to see which wire fixes it.
If it is a bad limit switch, wiper will stop in a random position when switch is turned off.

I believe motor uses a switched ground wire. Then any internal ground fault could keep motor running, as the “hot” is available at motor all the time.

Dave kinda beat me to it. I just metered mine out.
My '09 has three wires going to it:
Yellow - 12v - stalk switch
Wh/Blu - 12v - keyed(ign)
Bk - Gnd

Interesting how mine has no tab on the motor for the black. The motor is actually grounded via a bracket off the controller shelf so it works. The third little terminal on the motor may not even be a Gnd. I’ll have to check and see if it a second speed?

If you want to find out where the power is coming from, pull the yellow wire first. See if the wiper self parks. If so- then the problem is in your switch on the stalk.

If it continues to run, pull the Wh/Blu stripe and it will shut off. Then put the yellow back on and see if you can control with the stalk. If this works, your issue is with the self park switch in the motor.

When I get a sec I can take that thing apart and see how it works. (I’m weird that way).

BTW- I hate that the wipers are on the stalk with the turn signals!!! I’m always bumping that thing and triggering the wiper. As soon as I can, I’m moving that thing to the dash!! Grrrr!!!

Do you know if your GEM has the most recent wiring harness ? Seems there’s a service bulletin on some of the earlier models to change the wiring harness. They did my 2016 at no charge. Something about GEMs going to a ground based system instead of a resistance based system?? Not sure of the whole scheme but I ended up with daytime running lights out of it.

So Magically my wipers are back to normal on and off operation. I took the fuse out and had it out for a few days and now everything is working for the moment fingers crossed I’m sure it won’t flare up or ever happen again. :slight_smile: