2014 Gem Issue grinding noise until warmed up

I have a 2014 Gem and can not figure out the problem I am having.

I am having an issue when first turning it on and driving a mild grind noise until it gets up to speed and then the vehicle sounds fine. I assumed it was in the battery some place as it would have a major decrease in power until it got warmed up. After checking the batteries they are all good to go. Could I have a engine issue and has anyone ever heard of something similar?

Thanks

Brakes maybe?..

I wonder if it’s the same issue I just had, thanks to Kinghappy for diagnosing. The rubber bushing between the motor and the gearbox, and add some Honda M-77 assembly lube on the spline when you put it back together. You pull the old rubber bushing out of the motor using a pic or O ring remover and push the new one in. For my 2007 is was part # 5414407, the 2014 appears to be the same model, but I can’t be sure so you may want to verify fit. I have a feeling this is something that has to be done frequently on these to prevent the growling noise the motor spline makes when the rubber and grease wear out.

1 Like

That is probably your motor . Is the black motor that says advanced ?

Here is a pic of engine image

That’s the one . These are good motors but require maintenance every few years , especially if they sit unused . If your Gem sits for Months at a time these will eventually fail . Also if you live next to the ocean they don’t hold up well . You can have them serviced and they are good to go . When working they are good motors It is one of the motors I use myself .

Fyi , half the 2013-2015 Gems I have seen have had them replaced with another motor .

So is it a service issue or replace issue?

Either or . kind of depends on options you have available . Where are you located ?

Im in florida, orlando area. Im ok with replacing if it needs to be but its so strange cause yesterday it was running fine and then today its doing it again

These motors have a history of something like this . Can’t be sure if it is your problem . Is it a grinding noise or maybe an arcing noise ? Does it happen on decel ?
I’m in Naples but Rodney is about an hour from you

it does not happen on the Deceleration, only on the initial acceleration and then once up to speed it stops. Once you stop again it will sometimes do it sometimes not.

That sounds like the motor . Contact oldhouseboater and take it to him . He should be able to do it in a few hours while you wait . Try not to ship if possible

1 Like

Is it worth fixing or just replacing with a new motor?

I fixed mine . If you don’t want to have yours fixed I have a Ride4fun motor I can sell you and give you a credit for your current motor .

Does it have the speed control piece as well that’s what I was looking at for the 899

If its new and has the whole package I would totally be in