2008 GEM E6 only goes 18 MPH on High

I recently purchased a 2008 GEM E6 6 passenger that I am in the process of restoring. It was used as an Island Taxi and was fairly beat up when I purchased it. I installed new lead acid batteries because there was none in it when I purchased and wanted to make sure it would run before investing heavily into it. After cleaning the motor brushes i did get it running, however it will not go past 18 MPH on hign but will do 16 MPH in low. I did also discover it has a MZ Motorsports 8.3 HP motor, class H 4835 RPM rating. Even jacked up on stands it will not go past 18, and it seems to wine really loud at this speed?. I live on a small island outside of Savannah GA that is only about 7 miles long and has no hills. I am not looking to run 40 MPH but i don’t want to get run over in a 35 MPH speed zone! I did speak with Ride for Fun and from what I understand the controllers on 2008 models are hard coded so I don’t think it is a programming issue, but really not sure where to start . Thanks in advance for the help on this.

Does it plug at 18mph? (hold back)
I believe it can be programmed for lower speed.

The controller may need reprogramming. If it was used in commercial service it may be program limited to 18 MPH.

Yes it seems to, in the low speed it will bounce between 15 and 16 MPH, but in high it seems to lock in at 18 and stays there. Maybe I am incorrect about the programming on my controller?

2008 are programmable . my guess is previous owner programmed in lower top speed to keep his drivers from going too fast

SOOOO now i get to figure out how to reprogram the controller, always more fun!

If only the speed turned down a MM might fix it.

SOOOO the plot thickens… I did purchase the MM and just had sometime yesterday to install and test out. I charged the batteries and installed the MM and drove it using GPS for seed and got the exact same results 16 MPH?? I stopped and took the MM out and drove it some more and same speed without it. Now I am at a complete loss as to whats next.

Did the MM change the speedometer reading?

Yes I did notice it was reading around 11 MPH while I had it installed.

Seems like it is doing what it is meant to.
You can return it if you like.
What does it do in turf mode?

No i will keep the MM, just don’t understand why I am having issues getting speed out of the car. I will have sometime this weekend and will install it again and see what it does on turf mode and report back. I may have to invest int he software to reprogram it as well.
Thanks

check your wiring on switch . some people wire the switch so that low and high are the same to limit top speed .