2008 e4 batt display shows ~50% but battery measured 13.0V

I just checked, ~4.5hrs charging and the Ammeter LED indicates 1(something) and the Bulk Charge indicator LED is lit solid which is showing that the 80% bulk charge is complete. And this time the dash display does show the battery indicator levels going up and it is not showing full battery SoC.

So it is an Ammeter but the numbers have scaling factors depending on the battery voltage supported. For our 72V systems we multiply the ā€œstageā€ number by 2 in order to get the approximate charge current being applied. So stage 6 indicates ~12 amps. The DQ in this 2008 is a 912 and Iā€™ve not found the manual for that so hoping the 1000 model scaling is close. But it still seems to show that they are trying to show charge amperage and Iā€™m guessing that if you had a weak extension cord it might show the bulk charging at something less than ā€˜stageā€™ 6.

I use the word ā€œrastafrazā€.

It makes no sense and means nothing, but its fun to say.

sometin is very wrong hereā€¦ I just looked at 4 batteries while itā€™s in the final charge stage and saw:
15.6V
14.9V
15.7V
14.9V

No wonder it finishes with an over voltage errorā€¦ Gel batteries should not be charged over 14.2V IIRC so something is wrong with the 14 charge profile. These are 98Ahr@20A gel batteries from what I saw on the labels.

Do you have another Temp sensor you can try? Or install a 10k resistor in itā€™s place and try charging again.

I do not have a DQ temp sensor but I have dozens of 10K resistors. I pulled the plug on the charger since this kind of voltage is supposed to damage the gel and therefore damage the batteries. Got any info on where the temp sensor is and where would be easiest to install a 10K in its place?

The temp sensor is mounted down on a battery(typically B-) the first battery in the chain.
It looks like a ring terminal with two wires on it. Thie early ones look like a big crimp, and the later ones are a thinner ring and a molded cube where the wires terminate.

Find this, measure the resistance across the wires. Is it ~10k?

13.77K ohms measured across the temp sensor. Itā€™s probably low 50s out there.

sticker on the batteries show 12/20 so they are just going on 2 years but since these were probably over charged many timesā€¦ it would seem this causes bubbles to form in the gel and depletes capacity which would explain why it shows good steady state voltages yet has crappy runtime.

So much for pulling that rabbit out of the hat.
Stillā€¦ Those batteries should be quite warm if jacked up to 14~15v.
Iā€™d think that sensor would swing the other way. Was this sensor mounted on a lug? or hanging off to the side?

The sensor is mounted to the battery lug as in your pic. The batteries were not warm at all, felt room temp at best while the metal and other parts were cold since itā€™s ~55F outside.

My 08 with gel batteries had what I assumed was a temp sensor (a small puck glued) on the side of the 1st battery in addition to the rings on the terminal. Note that I switched the batteries over to lead acid and then taped it back on.

On the 2005 chargers, instead of bars, it showed percentages.

Your charging voltages are correct. The Deltaq does a finish balance/ desulfation charge. It slowly raises the voltage, at a low amperage, to 96v. It stair steps it up until 16v per battery. The slow, high voltage, low amperage, will balance the batteries without hurting them. I have watched this algo work with volt meters on each battery, itā€™s impressive. There will be a few batteries that get to 16v pretty fast and then then voltage quits rising. Slowly the others come up until they are all 16v. It is a very good charger. I have a client with 2016 Gel batteries and over 12,000 miles on them.

Let it charge the batteries all the way until it shuts off, wait an hour and plug it in again. If one of the batteries is lagging and doesnā€™t reach full charge is a specific time(v2) it will fault. Plugging it back in will give it more time to equalize. I have had to do it up to 3 times to finally get the green light.

2 Likes

I will give it a couple shots this morning.

After plugging it in this morning it cycled up to stage 1 and sometime later errored out with over voltage. I unplugged, let the charger input charge dissipate and turn off then restarted the charger. It walked up to stage 1 level and I measured 14.2-14.5V on the 6 batteries.

I cycled the charger 3 times and 3 times it returned a 2 blink error( over voltage? ) yet Iā€™ve only seen 14.xV now and measured after 10 minutes after charge start saw 85.2V across the entire pack.

Something is fishy. I also tried unplugging the batter temp sensor during the charge and it stopped with an error of 1 blink which is a battery temp error so I know the sensor is wired to the charger. Measured 15.xK ohm on it this morning so itā€™s changing as a thermistor should.

Other things Iā€™ve found and fixed. I was getting a little tingle being barefoot and probing the batteries then touching the chassis with my arm. Turned out the ground pin in the hood outlet was broken. Iā€™ve used a computer cable directly to the DQ charger and still got the 2 blink(OV) error but no more tingling from chassis to earth ground(feet). I went and pulled off cables from all but the back 2 battery jumper(2 lugs) and found 2 with a bit of corrosion and wire bushed all but those back 2 terminals. Starting the charge I saw 85.1V instead of 85.2 as previously seen. I also noticed none of the battery terminals were with washers. It was battery terminal and then nuts and the slightly corroded battery terminals were ever so slightly curled from pressure only being applied to the center of the terminal hole. I need to get some SS washers on all those battery terminals.

I can haz fire?
Plweeze?

Iā€™m trying but I just donā€™t see the charger doing anything to these batteries now which would come close to making go boom. It might be doing a quick attempt at 16V but 4 times now Iā€™ve restarted the charge cycle and I see 85.2 or now 85.1V across the 6 gel batteries for something like 15-30 minutes and then it goes to the 2 blink over/under voltage error. Even under bulk charging the batteries didnā€™t even get warm.

video showing algorithm 14: 72v Delta-Q charger showing algorithm selection. - YouTube

I can loan you my 96V deltaQā€¦
It peaks at like 130v

1 Like

Put a volt meter on all 6 and see what is happening. If 1 stay really low individually charge it.

2 Likes

Iā€™m going to put a meter across the pack during charging and do some data logging to see whatā€™s happening. I have a Metex ME-11 with RS-232 and will try building this code to put on a little Raspberry Pi Zero W (rPiZW) to do remote monitoring/logging.
http://www.mtoussaint.de/qtdmm2.html#description

Iā€™ve measured all 6 batteries before a charge and shortly after it stops charging with the error and they all seem pretty close. I never saw the 15+V level on the batteries after I stopped the charge when I saw that and since it was past the absorption charge, every time Iā€™d restart the charge cycle it would be in Stage 1 and showed low 14.xV levels on all the batteries.

Iā€™ll try to set the data logging up today, use it to go to the school and do a charge cycle. Thatā€™s the hope.