2007 Gem - Slow drain of Gel batteries

After my 2007 Gem is fully charged, I lose about 1 battery bar/ day while it sits. What is the most common source of battery drain? I purchased a battery cutoff switch, which can be employed after fully charged, but would prefer a more elegant solution. Note: the cart uses a Ride For Fun charger which has floating & maintenance settings, but my suspicion is constantly charging the slow drain will impact the batter life. Does anyone have any insights?

The dc-dc converter is always on. As you suggest, turn off the main disconnect for long storage. Batteries are still subject to self-discharge, which is also normal.
If I may ask, why did the 2007 need a new charger?

Thanks for your suggestion. Is this dc-dc converter something that can be turned off when not in use? The charger was replaced when this Gem was modified (mechanically and electrically) in 2015. Given all the non-factory electrical additions (some of which are direct connects; stereo, led lights, etc), the slow drain could be in a number of different places.

The main breaker kills all the power, including dc-dc. It may be part of the DQ charger.
Or above the charger, sure-power converter.

With a Quick Charge sco 7210 (aka R$F superduperduper charger) the dc dc is going to have to be a separate system.

In theory, the dc dc should be turned off by throwing the main switch at the bottom of the fuse panel on the dash, but who knows how it was wired in

Thanks. Finding the drain will be very difficult given all the custom wiring that has been done.

Maybe, maybe not.

My 2-NewYen worth of advice, start at your batteries, You have so much extra Xzibit level crap hooked up, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if some wanker hardwired directedly to a battery or three

1 Like

Jrjava, it’s a good idea to check the battery leads. However, the cart was professionally modified by Innovation Motor Sports in AZ 6 years ago. And while there have been a few issues, in general, they did a decent job that has held up well.

And yet they replaced an advanced charger like the deltaQ with a ferrite core dumb as a box of rocks brick sco7210 from 35 + years prior.

Dont get me wrong, i like those old ass style brute force chargers for the right situation, but to me, it seems that electricity was not the forte of your carts butcher, er builder

1 Like

I agree that the cart butcher/builder was good, not great. I don’t have any experience with these chargers, AND the “ride for fun” charger does work. I’m not opposed to upgrading the charger. Is the deltaQ a form/fit/replacement of the “ride for fun” charger? What are the benefits & costs?

The delta q was the original charger. Its a fully compterized smart charger that has adjustable proflies for various bateries some models can be reprogrammed with new profiles.

Fits up under the hood above the differential.

They basically went backwards with the sco7210 / R$F. Such being said, there is nothing wrong with your current charger, its just not very flexible/adaptable nor advanced. For gel batteries, you may never need to change. But for the cost of replacimg 6 gel batteries, you are almost at the cosy of lithium. The R$F will be limiting you at that point.

Getting a deltaq is easy, @LithiumGods and @Inwo usually have them. Need to figure out your existing wiring first

Thanks for the insight. I’ll stand pat (never split 10’s) with my current cart, but may consider upgrading to lithium at my next Gel battery change (which seems to be every few years!). However I’ve read that upgrading to Lithium is not always straight forward, and I’m not looking for another headache or project. Does lithium provide more power and range?

Drop in connect two wires,
sam 22s on shelf

$2750 complete.
Unfortunately, they took your good charger that is needed to fully charge this battery. The old QC will only chare to about 85%. Worth a try though. Is it temperature controlled?

1 Like

First look at batteries. Nothing should be connected excepting the +&- power cables and possibly temperature sensor.
If that’s ok, power switch will turn everything off.
No worries about that with the SDI22 lithium battery. There is no practical limit on charging cycles and current draw can be monitored in app.
Lead batteries start dying the minute the are put in use. Maybe before. :slight_smile:

@davidreuter sorry for your loss. Some butchers are well known on this forum. Ask in pm.

1 Like

It used to be a lot more work, build your own pack, but now it’s just drop in and connect the wires.

Yes, more power, range and over 300lbs shaved off the weight of the GEM.

Thanks again. The article on lithium upgrade was excellent. I’ll exhaust the value of my Deca batteries and consider upgrading to lithium at that time.

How old are the batteries? Old enough not to accept a full charge?

They can almost buy cigarettes, does that help?