2002 e825 charging tips

Hello all.

My wife purchased an e825, 4 seater. It’s been at our lake House and this is my first time seeing it.

I plugged it in to the 15a wall outlet and nothing seems to be happening.

It’s been plugged in for 15 hours and I can’t get any response from it.

I could use the manual in general but what am I missing?

The batteries are 6 months old and under warranty still but I’d rather not have to pull them.

Thanks for whatever help you can offer!

Are you sure outlet and cord are working? There is a main disconnect switch under rear seat, is that turned on?

1 Like

Is it a detached garage amd are there any combustables in the near vicinity?

The outlet and the cord are both working.
I looked under the seat and found the cutoff but it hasn’t been touched until I took the seat off.

The car was delivered charged. The in-laws used it until it died and it hasn’t been touched since (about 3-5 weeks ago).

It is a detached garage. There is an empty propane tank and a small gas canister for the mower, the mower itself and a boat. I’m curious why that’s relevant? There is no fume buildup, and the garage has passive vents.

Your pack voltage is too low for the onboard charger to kick on. You’lll need to hook each battery up to a portable “dumb” charger and charger them individually.

Never take a lead based battery below 50% if you can avoid it (about 12.6v)

1 Like

Asking for a friend…

Things to know about your 2002 and lead acid batteries.

1. always put it on a charger after using it. Lead acid batteries need to be kept fully charged for long life.
    2)if they are not sealed, check and fill(with distilled water) the battery acid level monthly. If you ever see plates you’re doing going as far as you used to.
    3)if not using the GEM for 5 days or more, fully charge it and then throw the main battery disconnect to prevent the onboard electronics from slowly draining the batteries dead.
  2. your charger is likely not going to turn ON by itself when the battery charge gets low if you’re thinking of leaving it plugged in. A better solution is to put a 7 day timer on it and have it turn on for 6+ hours once every 7 days.

If you’ve not figured it out yet, your in-laws probably weren’t told to charge it after every use, ran it down too low for the charger to recognized a good enough battery was there and would not charge. They then lefft it and the onboard electronics drained the batteries to near 0V and unless REALLY REALLY good batteries, they are shot and probably won’t hold 50% of what they held new.