2000 Gem Car Strange Issue

Problem just started. If I have the key off and the Parking Break on and apply power ( Turn Switch in Battery compartment )everything is as should be. As soon as I release Parking brake the Contactor picks up. Key still off. Put Parking brake on and Contactor stays picked up (waited 5 mins). Put Parking brake off and key still off, Contactor opens after around 20 seconds. I have disconnected wires from ignition switch to eliminate switch issue. Same results.
Any ideas ???

Check the parking brake micro switch to be sure is is opening and closing as the brake is applied and released. The actual brake lever has been superseded to number 0111-02935, which now uses metric threads. If not, the DC/DC converter may be at fault. These are expensive and have been superseded several times. If yours is the old printed circuit board type, your car missed the recall. Look for obvious burn damage. This is caused by water getting on the board. We have a GEM with this problem, it runs without the key. Due to age / cost consideration, we have not replaced the DC/DC converter. The car has been “on” for about six years now. One possible way to deal with this issue would be to wire the key switch in series with the battery charger interlock circuit. I will need to know which charger your car has?

Daniel

[QUOTE=GEMmechanic;8395]Check the parking brake micro switch to be sure is is opening and closing as the brake is applied and released. The actual brake lever has been superseded to number 0111-02935, which now uses metric threads. If not, the DC/DC converter may be at fault. These are expensive and have been superseded several times. If yours is the old printed circuit board type, your car missed the recall. Look for obvious burn damage. This is caused by water getting on the board. We have a GEM with this problem, it runs without the key. Due to age / cost consideration, we have not replaced the DC/DC converter. The car has been “on” for about six years now. One possible way to deal with this issue would be to wire the key switch in series with the battery charger interlock circuit. I will need to know which charger your car has?

Daniel[/QUOTE]

Daniel, I have a 2000 E825 that will engage the drive motor whether the key switch is on or off but the accessories, lights, blinkers, wipers only work with the key on. This seems link the symptoms you described. I have been successful in trouble shooting other issues on the two 2000 E825’s we have but I haven’t found info on troubleshooting this issue. This particular car was missing the ignition switch when I bought it, I got a GEM ignition from the dealer & wired it in the same as the other car & the service manual. That was when I discovered that the key switch was not interrupting power to the motor. I can’t figure out what is causing this problem. I see from your post that it could be the DC/DC converter but is there some other problem that could cause this situation? We would like to use this car more, but I can’t park it in public areas or outside the way it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
RJOL