1st time public Level 2 install: get fancy bollard ($$$) or plain-Jane charger on budget?

I’m a sustainability coordinator at a rural Midwestern non-profit of ~200 co-workers supporting a diversity of operations (retreat center, tiny college, nursing home, etc). We are behind the curve as to EV adoption. There are only two public Level 2 stations in the county.

Demand for a charger includes: a) zero plug-ins from our current fleet, but pulling some strings we will slowly phase in (though these probably more easily service by 110V in our garages), b) a retreatant asked once before they came, c) unknown demand from employees, likely small but would like to incentivize with infrastructure + potential free charging.

My first quote with a major provider was $4,760 for a one-cord bollard + $950 for site validation of install + service activation + $280 annually for software support. Their recommend installer (ignorant of final specs) ballparked $6,000 for a simple installation mounted on an existing building (no concrete work in parking lot, trenching, etc) with an existing dedicated circuit. Our in-house maintenance may be able to install + some contracting help. But even an optimistic scenario would put me around $8,000 minimum to essentially install a fancy electrical outlet in a parking lot (with a paltry warranty) + $280/annually.

I’m suffering from sticker shock, and worried about my reputation/discernment if hardly anybody charges here. I thought an EV charging station would make a great grant application to our local community foundation; but this would compound the frustration if it is perennially idle.

Amazon.com is showing a highly-rated, Level 2 plain-Jane outdoor charger for $399. My friend suggested install a couple of those instead and eat the electric cost, which in all likelihood will remain low for years and even with daily use would only be a few hundred dollars. One can envision creative work-arounds to the free charging issue if desired (if later removed as employee benefit, have parking lot tags available for purchase, etc).

Has anyone (institutionally) gone the plain-Jane route? What are some pitfalls? Where to find specifications for install (if we run into issues beyond the user manual)? Not as pretty as a fancy bollard with a cellular connection and LED display, but at a much lower cost.

Thanks.

1 Like

@EVCurious8 Thank you for being in touch and welcome. You’ve come to the right place for feedback. We will do what we can to get you answers to your questions. I will make sure the posts is approved and populated on our forum now.

Welcome.

Interesting topic - this is one of the main issues for many look at installing public/workplace ev charging stations, how long before demand picks up.

There are members on here who will be able to assist with your specific questions - we have spoken with ev charging companies in the past. I have no detailed knowledge of the installation process but I think your idea of installing a cheaper charger at the start - to test the water so to speak - makes sense. If it is a rip-roaring success then you can always upgrade further down the line?

A plan to incentivize users would also make sense.

1 Like

You sir are unique among your peers. Most would go for the Gold just to be progressive. A realistic sense of expected growth is refreshing today. Yes there will be growth, no it will not be rapid. The “economy” units will transfer power at the same rate as the “expensive” units and require less maintenance. Ask yourself why a charging station should do more than charge your vehicle.IMHO it shouldn’t.

Another thing to be careful of when choosing a charging unit is capacity. Since you are a facility where the vehicle will probably be parked for the duration of the work day you don’t want any thing other than a standard capacity unit. enhanced units that charge at a fast rate require more power and a more expensive electrical supply.

I would however look to the future and give thought to site planning. Where would you put the charging yard, can it be located near an existing source of electrical power. Will existing electrical capacity serve to carry anticipated loads? Capitol expenditure for electrical capacity increase’s can be pricey. Especially when you are installing it for intermittent use.

Rodney

1 Like

Thanks for the thoughts all. Lots of people have predicted the future… most have been wrong, but here is my take:

We have to have something at least level 2 (25 miles-added per hour) to make it worth people’s time. But we are a destination place (several hours to days), not a brief stop-over, so I’m not envisioning any faster charging being worthwhile, maybe not even the future. New EVs will not have 65 miles of capacity to contend with… I’m hearing that the vast majority of charging will be done overnight at home on 110/220.

So for our employees with a 200+ mile capacity vehicle and a long commute… they are still probably going to be charging at home. For our visitors who are staying for a good chunk of the day (college visit), Level 2 should be fine. Ditto overnights.

Am I missing anything?

NEXT QUESTION:
So I don’t want the full bollard with cellular connection and software support. I’d really like to have the charger show up on a network (like ChargePoint?) so that people can plan trips around it. If I can get WIFI to a charging unit on the exterior of a building, can I set it up such that it will show available/not-available on the network? I’m not interested in charging fees for use… just showing available/not-available to both clients/visitors as well as our own employees (e.g. they know if someone went to move their car it is now actually moved).

Thanks.

1 Like

That would be a nice feature, for sure, especially if it can integrate with a mobile app. I would almost argue that it is a required feature especially if a unit is in a high demand area.

I agree with the availability app - nothing worse than turning up at a charging station only to see it is in use and you have to wait a long time. I once read that very very few commuters do more than 80 miles a day so your 25 miles an hour charger seems perfect to start with.

In the past I have spoken with someone who organises perks and discounts with local companies for those using EV charging stations - maybe this is something you could look at? Maybe discounted lunches at a local store the more they use the charging station?

1 Like

@EVCurious8 I I think that @Cleanenergy is on to something here, consider the perks…it creates a win win for all involved.

Perks are a win win because everyone thinks they are gaining - the EV charging provider has extra business, the motorist has money off discounts/perks and the companies providing the offers will attract business they would probably never have seen otherwise.

1 Like

If anyone is still watching, just wanted to update everyone.

Got 3 x eMotorwerks Pro40s. 2 installed this morning and they are working right out of the box. Have not set them up with WIFI yet but I’m really looking forward to this in regards to load sharing (I have 2 40’s on a single 60A breaker), reducing amperage draw to reduce demand charges, etc.

Thanks for the advice!