08 gem lost power and no error codes

HMy ‘05 had this same issue, - the pothole. It was the accelerator. It was not throwing any codes. I spent $1300 on a new set of Trojan batteries before I ohmed out the accelerator and found it to be bad. Unfortunately, they currently are not manufacturing this part. They are very expensive ($467). I found a good used one at a dealer for a reasonable price. That fixed it.

Do you have the old one? I need one to repair.

Hi guys, I was expecting to see someone mention stuck brushes or a loose battery cable. Possible right? Hope this helps
:slightly_smiling_face:

I had the same issue with the same symptoms you are experiencing. You can see an earlier thread on my battle to resolve. Inwo and old Houseboater were a huge help. It was the throttle control. Sounds silly but unplug your throttle control at the connection in the engine area and reseat the plug. Pothole jar may have loosened the connection. If that does not do it, you can do what I did and dremel off the rivets and clean the contact points. I also reheateed my solder points to reseat them as well. It acts like a servo and over time can get gummed up giving bad connection. Reattach the plate. I used a velco strap and silicone to reseal the assembly. Running fine since. I agree, hard to find part. Dealer say back ordered, but can cost $450-$550 for the assembly. See pics… Hope that helps.

I finally got some time (and decent weather) to play with my gem and now the dash is showing error code 05, i know that’s the error code for main relay not closing. Is this because of the probable throttle pedal failure or is this something else on top of the other problem? Where should I start to get this figured out?

Inwo,
will your throttle tester diagnose this?

05 is the throttle switch. I have a few things that I’m working on.

1. A test light that plugs into the throttle. Go-no go leds.
  2. Plans to convert a Saturn throttle. <$100
  3. Add-on switch for your throttle. If you speed control pot is ok.
  4. Plan to use Saturn throttle without opening. Use with external switch.
  5. Solid state inductive replacement switch. (just came in today)

Everything is on the shelf while working on a new project, but I can help in exchange for testing and a few $$$

Yes…

My first thing to check would have been each battery voltage since the bounce could have dislodged debre inside the battery( lead acid?) which could short out some plates and greatly reduce battery voltage.

Next up would be to check the temperature of each battery cable at the crimp and at the battery post. A bounce can cause the batteries and cables to be stressed and you might have fractured a cimp or loosened a post connection. But you’d have to drive it a little bit so as to warm up the fracture. Full throttle around the block and quickly check the front wires. Then once around again and quickly check the rear seat wires. Remove the dash cover and go around again and carefully feel the wires connections there( no rings or jewelry in there!).

Only then might I think to start looking at throttle.

This sounds like a Throttle Vs a bad battery.
When are you going to test David’s Throttle tester. I’m Intrested to know what happens.

1 Like

05 is the throttle switch error.
Can also happen if throttle is stuck on high.

I’ll probably take you up on that but right now money’s tight and I can’t justify pouring money into it right now. I found the wiring schematic and trouble shouting guide so I’ll see what I can come up with.