Yet another lithium upgrade for dummies on a 2005 825 (some info needed)

Just to add a little . 18 cells wont work that well , you really need 20 to make it work properly . Also the NMC cells (leaf and volt ) shouldn’t be charged over 80% for long tern survival . 4.0v to 4.05v should be max .Higher then that and your cell capacity will degrade . Chevy and nissan and Tesla limit the max cell voltage to help the cells survive . 24s @ 4.0v each = 96v . Fast , fun and the cells while keep capacity.

Inwo knows his stuff ! Listen to him

2 Likes

It’s something I build. Price depends on mood and what else I’ve sent you. :open_mouth:
Being retired, I only work on the things that give me the most “atta boys” :blush:
In any case, inexpensive. If you are electronically inclined, I can give you instructions for rolling your own, in a pm.

Oh I’ve researched him a bit. He does for sure. :slight_smile:

Sweet. thanks for giving me options. How about you send it to me via PM and I will see if I have the time and ability and if not, then I just throw more money at you? :smile:

1 Like

ps.
Your Volt battery guy is appropriating all my stuff. Not sure how I feel about that! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
At one time, I protected some of the ideas with thoughts of a profit. Later I shared it. Would be a shame to see someone cash in on it. A simple device, as is the MM, yet a lot of sweat and tears went into research.
First noticed that he was selling Chargery products then copied the after-market balance leads for Volt.
He seems like a fair guy to deal with. If only he would list nominal voltage rather than peak, misleading!

Yeah he’s been nice to me in regards to the battery deal. Very accommodating.

I gotta say though, I’d have bought all your stuff much sooner if it was out there and not sorta buried here on the forum. I don’t know how sales are for you on these niche items but if you just kept some of them on eBay or Amazon maybe that would help? I plan on doing an article on it on my website and of course, some YouTube videos and I’d love a way to link directly to your wares.
On the other hand, I’m almost willing to bet you did that for a while and interest waned. I suspect peopel messing with these old carts goes in spurts. You guys have all been stuck into this hobby longer than me clearly so you will have a better gauge. I’m just the new guy. :slight_smile:

When it comes to batteries for golf carts, solar and other projects that require small light Lithium Cobalt, not Chinese LiP04 junk, I have available NEW LG Chemical Volt batteries and a reasonable cost. Life expectancy should be well over 10 years and longer when used with a BMS assembly to balance the cells. If
you have a interest email me at cruisin@live.com

Accidentally overcharged the battery pack I bought to 85v. I presumed the QuiQ charger would stop for some silly reason.
Live and learn.
Thank goodness nothing caught fire.

I need to grab a proper battery charging system once this is all tested and running.

This weekend I hope to reconfigure the 2 packs I bought into the proper setup and getting them installed into their trays.

Adding a module that may be at a different state of charge, means that you still can’t charge and walk away.
The full one will overcharge before the low one will fill.
This goes for individual cells also.
Thus the need for bms or at minimum 24s monitor.
Checking 24 cells every time you charge is tedious.

If you take the time to get all 24 in sync, it may last a long time.

Gotcha.
Once I get the second pack I will be sure to charge everything to the right voltage before I link them all up. I will look into the grabbing that charger you suggested too. Possibly with the BMS upgrade.

I’m not opposed to having a conversation. :slight_smile:
You’ve been incredibly helpful to me in many facets. It’s the least I can do.

I’m retired and don’t want to sell a lot of product. Only enough to support my hobby.
That’s why I’m hard to find.:grin:
Selling to those whom I’m working with is best.
No time to support a large sale volume.

2 Likes

I believe you can list prices here. For sure in the “for sale” section.

If your customers want Volt accessories, parrallel and bms harness, I have factory made aftermarket universal harness.gem4kwh%20harness
I have solar customers paralleling 8 44v modules, cell to cell.
Universal fit. Even the new 16s modules or 6s modules

@diymatt
Lots of good information to keep current.

Indeed I do need to tweak some of it a bit to match the changes I’ve made. thanks for the heads up.

I do everything I can thru @Inwo - he is a great guy and very open about most everything. A straight shooter. He probably knows more about Volt/Bolt/Spark batteries and charges than anyone on this site and is willing to share. This is all great information although I do not blame Dave for keeping some of it close to the chest.

I am attempting to learn as I go as this stuff is crazy interesting to me and I have started to build some hot-rod GEMS and could not have done it without Dave and @grantwest - Thanks guys.

PS - @Inwo - some orders coming your way soon!

1 Like