WTH... cannot find insurance coverage in FL anywhere

Something is wrong because there is a rental fleet in St. Augustine of GEM cars. I have seen them all over town so I know they are insured.

You are correct there are. I was able to find “fleet” insurance through a company in Orlando. But I don’t have a fleet. And yhey won’t insure a single unit.

Finally found insurance to the tune of approximately $900 a year for a high deductible basic PIP and liability policy. Appears (according to the agent) this is solely a Florida problem. According to the agent, FL made major changes to their LSV laws a couple years ago and now very few insurance companies want to provide coverage because there is not enough profit to do so in FL. Those of you who have motorcycle policies may want to double check them as he said it’s acceptable in some states but not in all. He said FL used to allow motorcycle policies. I have not accepted this policy yet as I really don’t know if I can justify $900 for a total of a couple hundred miles per year of GEM use. I’ll share the company information after I’ve decided.

State Farm was able to ensure our e4. It was pricey because we wanted to be able to fall back on our liability umbrella (nearly $800, year for those higher limits required to kick in the liability umbrella), but we should be all set if anything ever happens to or from our vehicle.

Should be less expensive with lower liability limits.

So I decided to take a six month policy for $480 with Safeco. Turns out to be the only company that would insure this thing without moving all my other coverage. Expensive. I may keep it, may not. This is a six month trial to see if it’s worth keeping. Way more of a hassle than anticipated.