Where to buy? solenoid, pot box

I’m building an electric go kart.
I want to purchase a solenoid with at least 150 amp rating maybe 200amp.
My battery pack is 36v, but I will have a 12v dc to dc converter to power my controller so I could use a either 12v or 36v coil.
I also want a pot box to drive my controller. Maybe hall device?

What suppliers have you used that have reasonable prices?
Thanks, Qmavam

well, i’ve got a couple contactors (at least one is 36V), and one is 12V. Its 200A, used it just for testing before I got a EV200 contactor. Let me check, let me know if you’re interested.

As far as potbox, go here:
http://www.electricvehiclesusa.com/product_p/th-pb-5.htm

best price I’ve seen so far, and pretty good design. Most EV’rs use this throttle pot.

Hi Frodus,
Thanks for offer on the solenoid and info on the pot box.
I picked up a White Rogers 36v 200amp cont. solenoid locally, cheaper than
anything I could get delivered on the internet. (that was a surprise)
I guess I’ll have to jump in and spend the big bucks for the PB-5, I’m used to
buying potentiometers for $3 to $10. But it looks like this is a bit more than just a variable resistor. :slight_smile:
Thanks again, Qmavam

its not much more than a potentiometer… but finding a pot that has a limited (less than 90 degree) rotation, that goes 0-5k is hard to do.

I know where to get the pot that goes inside that potbox for under 20 bucks, but you’d have to make some soft of interface to the throttle cable

I have decided to go with the PB-5 or PB-6. I think by the time I fabricate the assembly and linkage I’ll wish I had just bought it. The PB-6 has a switch mounted in it.
Does anyone know for sure, that it is used to switch the solenoid when the go pedal is pushed just the first few degrees?
Thanks, Qmavam

if by solenoid, you mean contactor… then NO

the switch on the PB-6 (PB-5 does not have one) is to disable the “start”, so when its stopped, you can’t run the controller. Its a safety. Its not supposed to be to open/close the contactor. If you did, itd open the contactor every time you let off the throttle.

Ok, yes I mean contactor.

“the switch on the PB-6 is to disable the “start”, so when its stopped, you can’t run the controller.”

I’m not familiar with controllers yet, does that mean that most controllers have a “start” input? Is it enabled with a high signal?

“Its a safety. Its not supposed to be to open/close the contactor. If you did, itd open the contactor every time you let off the throttle.”

I’m a bit confused, I thought the contactor was for safety, if the controller stuck high when you let your foot off the go pedal the contactor would open
and no power would by applied to the motor.

If not what is the reason for the contactor?

Is there a reason you don’t want the contactor to open everytime you let off the throttle?

Thanks for your time, Qmavam

I’m not familiar with controllers yet, does that mean that most controllers have a “start” input? Is it enabled with a high signal?

yes, most are like that.

I’m a bit confused, I thought the contactor was for safety, if the controller stuck high when you let your foot off the go pedal the contactor would open
and no power would by applied to the motor.

it also does keep the controller from “moving” the motor if you don’t have any input on the start input. If the pot drifts a little then as soon as you turn the key, you risk “going forward”. You don’t need it really, but in a car, its a lot larger and the safety factor is desired.

Is there a reason you don’t want the contactor to open everytime you let off the throttle?

contactors aren’t meant to have that high of a duty cycle, plus you don’t want to connect and interrupt power on and off… the controller will do that for you. Contactor is only the main on and off.