Wheel Assembly NEV.tech?

As I mentioned in a previous thread, My 2002 GEM is getting front-end noise; a squeaking at low speed and rumble at higher speed. I put the car up on jacks today and ran it up while listening (with a vacuum cleaner hose) and didn’t hear any excessive sound; left, right, or differential.

But noise returns with load on the wheels, leading me to suspect wheel bearing. (braking doesn’t seem to alter the noise, which starts chirping with wheel rotation) I’m assuming wheel bearing, what say you?

The parts manual seems to say the wheel/bearing/brake parts can only be purchased as one unit, which I’m willing to do, if I must. Does this come as a bolt-on assembly, or as a box of parts, most of which I don’t need?

Thanks again,

Bill

Afterthought: parts list shows 10mm studs or 12mm studs. Is this specific to year of manufacture or what?

Bill

Save some money-I have a rear wheel bearing problem right now and I am trying to find the bearing number before I tear the wheel assm. down but I do know about the front bearings. I changed mine a year ago. The bearing is easy to get out and it is a standard bearing house bearing. I do not remember the number but it is right on the edge of the bearing. Just call any bearing house, give them the number and they will do the rest. It might cost you about $10 and a little work.

[QUOTE=dhanks;7988] The bearing is easy to get out and it is a standard bearing house bearing. [/QUOTE]

So how [U]do[/U] you get the bearing out of the assembly? I’ve ordered the complete unit, but have the old one off and am dissecting it so I will be better prepared for the next time.

I’ve taken out the two hex-drive screws to remove the brake drum, but it still isn’t obvious how the bearing is removed from the hub (or whatever you call that 4-bolt plate which attaches to the frame.)

Bill

If I remember correctly, remove the four bolts and that unit will come off; then take a punch or screwdriver, place it against the bearing on the inside of the hub and strike it with a hammer. Keep moving around the bearing until it works out of the open end. Then all you have to do is get another bearing and tap it back in where the old one came out and put the unit back together.

If that does not make sense to you, go on line and find a GEM parts calalog. In that catalog you can find a break down drawing of the complete assembly. By looking at that, you will be able to understand how it is put together.

Dave

[QUOTE=dhanks;8018]
If that does not make sense to you, go on line and find a GEM parts calalog. In that catalog you can find a break down drawing of the complete assembly. By looking at that, you will be able to understand how it is put together.

Dave[/QUOTE]

I have the parts catalog and the maint. manual. As I said, I’m preparing to install a new wheel/brake assembly. I don’t see anything about lubrication of this bearing. What’s the story?

Bill

That should be a sealed bearing that needs no lubrication

Wheel bearings for drum brake only: trade size 6006 double sealed, 6661K89 Mcmaster-Carr (two per wheel). An arbor or hydraulic press will remove and reinstall the bearings. Or, just take the assembly to a NAPA that has machine shop service.

Daniel

[QUOTE=GEMmechanic;8184]Wheel bearings for drum brake only: trade size 6006 double sealed, 6661K89 Mcmaster-Carr (two per wheel). An arbor or hydraulic press will remove and reinstall the bearings. Or, just take the assembly to a NAPA that has machine shop service.

Daniel[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Daniel,

I just replaced the whole unit, but I will know how to proceed next time.

Bill

I would be willing to purchase that old brake assembly. Can always use a spare. If interested, please contact me.

Daniel

[QUOTE=GEMmechanic;8236]I would be willing to purchase that old brake assembly. Can always use a spare. If interested, please contact me.

Daniel[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Daniel, but I beat it up pretty well getting the bearing out. I doubt it would have any value.

Are you the Daniel who sold me the wheel set?

Bill