What is your dream EV?

If money was not an issue, what EV would you buy?

[QUOTE=Editor;13520]If money was not an issue, what EV would you buy?[/QUOTE]

I think I would go for the Tesla Model X. cool design. Second choice Toyota Rav4 EV. Why not save $$$$$ and do your own conversion?? :car:

Tesla has got to be the ultimate in EV speed technology but conversions are becoming more and more popular.

Nissan Leaf is fully electric hatchback car. Though it is not available in India, but if I had to go for an electric vehicle then I would like to wait for Nissan Leaf electric car. Leaf is an environmental, affordable and friendly family, car. As it is said that electric vehicle does not gives a good mileage but in case of Nissan Leaf, it delivers an excellent mileage of 80 kmpl. If concerning the Nissan Leaf price then it is the best leading and affordable family car.

Mine is Tesla model S, the best EV on the planet according to me. And my second choice is Fisker Karma. Both the cars are just awesome, its performance, looks everything is great.

I have always liked the old MR2 box type and when I was lucky enough to have a passenger journey in one of these it certainly lived up to expectations!

Would it be relatively easy to convert an old MR2 into an electric vehicle? What are the costs associated with converting a traditional fuel vehicle to an electric vehicle?

Well, the current Geneva Motor Show 2013 (7-17 March) has seen an amazing amount of EV/hybrid announcements. Apart from the “usual suspects”, there are even world’s first hybrid supercars on show!

Sure, one might argue that hybrids like that are no better than “normal”, petrol-guzzling cars, as their CO2 emissions are nowhere near “zero-contribution” goals. But I think it is great that hybrids are actually becoming “sexy”! It is enough to look at Ferrari’s LaFerrari, McLaren’s P1 or Lexus IS300h to think: “Whoa! I want one!” :wink:

My personal preference? The P1. Sure, the electric motor alone will only keep you going for 12 miles, but overall emissions are less than 200g/km. And with me driving only around London, really, this would give me both a zero emission “city car” (khem!;)) and a 903 bhp supercar in one neat package. :slight_smile:

I’m a huge fan of the Model S, but my ideal electric car would be something with a 500 mile range, and 1ish hour recharge time. (i’m guessing in the next 5-6 years we’ll have something like that)

Progress is being made that is clear and I think the rate of change in EVs will speed up in the next few years. We seem to have the foundations for great movement in technology and many experts believe that 2013 will be THE year of the EV.

I am not sure we will see mass market pentration against the backdrop of a difficult worldwide economy. What does everyone else think?

Agreed, and with the price drops of the leaf, increase of range, and the new warranty they just imposed (battery pack is covered for 10 years), I cant see them going wrong at all.

Well, yesterday afternoon Sainsbury’s, one of UK’s major supermarkets, announced a drop in pump prices of both petrol and diesel by 4p and 3p respectively. I think such moves simply (and unfortunately) show how far off UK consumers are from embracing “green driving” en masse…

On the other hand, fuel prices seem to perpetually rise and never drop these days - I recommend my article (Supermarket Petrol Price War VS Transport Poverty) on the causes, effects, political dilemmas and realities of what I believe may be THE mayor, real-life driving force behind “going green” - relative cost of owning a fuel-guzzler!

Please let me know what you think, thanks :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Karolina;14394]Well, yesterday afternoon Sainsbury’s, one of UK’s major supermarkets, announced a drop in pump prices of both petrol and diesel by 4p and 3p respectively. I think such moves simply (and unfortunately) show how far off UK consumers are from embracing “green driving” en masse…

On the other hand, fuel prices seem to perpetually rise and never drop these days - I recommend my article (Supermarket Petrol Price War VS Transport Poverty) on the causes, effects, political dilemmas and realities of what I believe may be THE mayor, real-life driving force behind “going green” - relative cost of owning a fuel-guzzler!

Please let me know what you think, thanks :)[/QUOTE]

The biggest issue is that we cannot produce standard fuel at home in case there is any kind of major issues. If we become self sufficient with solar panels, even with no full infrastructure and electric cars, we’ll be fully independent. The problem lies with us depending on a fuel infrastructure to support our daily living.

[QUOTE=FEUS;14397]The biggest issue is that we cannot produce standard fuel at home in case there is any kind of major issues. If we become self sufficient with solar panels, even with no full infrastructure and electric cars, we’ll be fully independent. The problem lies with us depending on a fuel infrastructure to support our daily living.[/QUOTE]

That is a nice thought!:slight_smile: I agree it would be great if we all became “fuel independent”. But, being devil’s advocate: even if the currently prohibitive cost of such approach was overcome with technological advancements into solar cells production (still remarkably inefficient/expensive), I believe the alternative costs of such “atomized” approach will always be a deterrent. The “advantages of scale” in both production and - even more importantly - storage of electric power are simply too large too ignore. Like with building roads, bridges, etc., large and vital infrastructure elements cannot happen in a decentralized, micro-local scale approach.

Do you know for example that before WW2 in UK there were tens if not hundreds of different frequencies, voltage outputs, socket and plug shapes etc. - all making life rather complex for anyone wanting to use electric appliances? This was caused by the localized development of the network. Obviously, this lack of standardization meant many extra costs for both manufacturers and consumers, which also translated into an increased burden on the environment! Only great efforts brought uniformity and with it - efficiency…

Alternatively, we could just decide to cycle, walk or take public transport etc. :wink:

[QUOTE=Karolina;14404]That is a nice thought!:slight_smile: I agree it would be great if we all became “fuel independent”. But, being devil’s advocate: even if the currently prohibitive cost of such approach was overcome with technological advancements into solar cells production (still remarkably inefficient/expensive), I believe the alternative costs of such “atomized” approach will always be a deterrent. The “advantages of scale” in both production and - even more importantly - storage of electric power are simply too large too ignore. Like with building roads, bridges, etc., large and vital infrastructure elements cannot happen in a decentralized, micro-local scale approach.

Do you know for example that before WW2 in UK there were tens if not hundreds of different frequencies, voltage outputs, socket and plug shapes etc. - all making life rather complex for anyone wanting to use electric appliances? This was caused by the localized development of the network. Obviously, this lack of standardization meant many extra costs for both manufacturers and consumers, which also translated into an increased burden on the environment! Only great efforts brought uniformity and with it - efficiency…

Alternatively, we could just decide to cycle, walk or take public transport etc. ;)[/QUOTE]

Oh I couldn’t agree more. With progress takes risk and reward. We wont have a perfect product until until it’s been shaped to what is actually needed. The vehicle is the perfect example, it’s been rehashed SO many times, and is still being worked out. Same with housing, there is no perfect solution just perfect solutions.

I’ll probably be blasted for my personal best EV. Mine is the Chevy Volt. Some will argue that is is not an EV. I would argue that it is. But with a backup system that is truly needed until the infrastructure catches up to demand. Most can drive the Volt everyday on pure electric like I can. 1000 miles a month and I never have put gas in the “backup” generator. This is the best system because you won’t ever be stranded or limited and you can be 100% EV if you want to, by self imposed limitations not by being constrained by your choice of EV. you are not affraid to find the limits of your battery range in the Volt. who honestly will drive a pure EV to even 90% of its range? I want to be a good steward of our environment and do my best but I won’t give up my freedom to choose. The Volt can be 100% EV if you want it to. So it’s the perfect EV for our times.

Just sitting back on the Sunday afternoon and I remember that my favourite car of all time sign was a Lamborghini. I remember playing car card games as a child and dreaming one-day that I might drive a Lamborghini.

If this was ever the case, I would forgive them for not introducing an electric powered Lamborghini!

Give or take a few pence, the UK government effectively dictate the price of petrol in the UK due to the massive element which makes up tax.