What is a Tag?, How to Tag a posts?, Who can Tag a Post?

Tags take away the need for embedding content, they eliminate the need for sub-categories.

Tags are completely Dynamic…Sub-categories are fixed and run the risk of turning the navigation of the site into a maze.

Sub-categories create drill paths that are easy for the organizer to remember, but users have to then learn the navigation path in order to access a particular text.

Historically, content on forums has been organized using drill paths (category => sub-category), whereby there is a top level category, and embedded inside that are any number of subcategories.

This system allows for content to be tagged. Tags follow the content around. Reply’s to a post are automatically tagged with the same tag as the original posts.

Tags are completely Dynamic…Sub-categories are fixed and run the risk of turning the navigation of the site into a maze.

Tags when properly used, replace sub-categories.

Tags make it to where users can search for topics by typing in the “tag” they are interested in. So if an original post was tagged as “renault” then a search for “renault” will pull all posts and comments under this tag.

Tags allow users to pull related content that may other wise be in different categories or sub-categories.

Tags only exist when they are in use somewhere. Delete all the topics with a specific tag, that tag ceases to exist.

You must reach a level 3 trust level as a user to be able to create a tag. However, a level 1 trust level user can take tags that already exist and apply them to new posts. Moderators can replace and re-assign tags.

Hope this is helpful, let me know if you have more questions!

As content ages and grows and If you end up with 2 similar tags (like battery and batteries) you can rename one to the other and they will be “merged”.

Hope this is helpful, let me know if you have more questions!

@Old_Houseboater @staff

I was wondering how you moved up in trust level? I don’t use any other forums so I am unfamiliar with each the old and new ways. That being said I did figure out the old forum. I will appreciate the new one if it makes using on a mobile device easier.

Thanks,
James

@Belay13 The short answer is this: the system has an algorithm.

It takes into account how long you were on the form, how many likes you recorded, how many replies you made, how many links you posted…how many days you’ve returned…etc etc etc…

That said, I’ve promoted your profile to trusted level 3, so that you can belong to the lounge. This where our trusted members can congregate. I see that you were part of the old platform, so welcome!

Have a look around and thank you for engaging.

Thank you. I appreciate the people here and the information they have. I will do my best to help where I can.

James

1 Like

Thank you sir. I am sure we’ll be in touch again soon then. Merry Christmas.