Washing the GEM

Got the GEM really muddy this weekend and will need to give it a really good bath for the first time. The mud is everywhere and I’m worried about cleaning underneath, especially around the electric motor and associated controller/batteries/etc.

I’m guessing I need to show some restraint with the pressure washer but any specifics about what to be careful with will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Les

Strongly suggest you lose the pressure washer and think about your garden hose.

A pressure washer generates from 1200 to 2500 PSI at the nozzle. These pressures will blow past seals on electrical components and bearings and cause problems down the road. 4 wheeler mechanics love pressure washers because of the damage they cause. Your Gem is nowhere near as well sealed as a 4 wheeler. So Beware.

Thanks. I kind of thought that.

Les

Thanks, Marlon. I don’t want to screw anything up. Our eS is turning out to be perfect for our needs. I’d like to keep it that way!

Les

I take my eS to the quarter car wash… keep the hood closed watch how I spray the front and wheels… have soft doors wash them with full spray as well as the rear of the truck… drive my GEM car year round it gets rained and snowed on… just don’t spray the electrical parts

Bob

[quote=eS GEM Colo;25455]I take my eS to the quarter car wash… keep the hood closed watch how I spray the front and wheels… have soft doors wash them with full spray as well as the rear of the truck… drive my GEM car year round it gets rained and snowed on… just don’t spray the electrical parts

Bob[/quote]

Bob, I was careful with the water and got things clean without messing anything up.

Question for you: where did you pull 12v power for your backup camera?

Thanks,
Les

hi Les… I’ve added another fuse block under the hood… I was taking all me exterior power from the lights as I have them on all the time it worked for a while… as I added more things it didn’t look like such a brite idea… we pulled a hot line from the main fuse and put in the block… think it has places 6 or 8 fuses… I have the camera… fan… seats… and horn/whistle connected to it…

Bob

Thanks Bob. I really want to add the backup camera as the big cargo box on my eS blocks my rearward vision.

I’m guessing your “turn signal squeaker” squeaks with each flash. I find that sometimes I hit the turn signal and don’t realize it until the timer sets off the alarm. I would not mind some kind of soft beep with each flash, telling me it is on.

Thanks again,

Les

Les… I found the turn signal beeper on eBay… I have a cargo box as well… put it on for the winter… I mounted the backup monitor in the glove box as it was too hard to see mounted on the dash… find it bright sun it’s useless… here is a link to the guy I gor the squeaker from… don’t see a listing at this time… contact him thru eBay mail… andy14nq | eBay

Bob