Using my 4kW motorcycle in the winter? lifepo4

It is so cold, that when i accellerate a little too hard, or exceed maybe 40-60 km/h the controller justs shuts down, and 2 seconds after, it’s active again.
(top speed about 70 km/h+)

Why?

Is there some kind of Thermo relay? Or is it because i could damage the battery by discharging it too quickly when it’s cold outside? Or is it the controller that suffers due to the low temp? Could i use some equipment to heat up the battery, or isolate i, so the wind doesn’t get to it?

It is between -7 and -22 degrees celcius.

I am new to this forum and the idea of an electric motorcycle is interesting to me. Could you tell me more about your electric motorcycle setup?

I fly electric RC aircraft and their electric power systems will do something similar to what your motorcycle does. The power system consists of the battery, electronic speed control, and a brushless motor. The electronic speed controls have circuitry that sense when the battery voltage is getting low. When the battery gets close to empty the voltage will drop below a predetermined level and the speed control will cut power to the motor. This is a warning so you will know to land the airplaine before the battery is completely dead. Your can reactive the speed control by reducing power to zero and then bringing the thottle up again so you can have a controlled landing.

It seems the speed control on your motorcycle is doing something similar but for a different reason. Instead of a low battery it may be cutting off power to the motor because of the voltage drop caused by the reduced ability of the battery to source current when is so cold.

Hope this helps you and tell me more about your electric motorcycle.

Roger

[QUOTE=tdnevmo;8668]It is so cold, that when i accellerate a little too hard, or exceed maybe 40-60 km/h the controller justs shuts down, and 2 seconds after, it’s active again.
(top speed about 70 km/h+)

Why?

Is there some kind of Thermo relay? Or is it because i could damage the battery by discharging it too quickly when it’s cold outside? Or is it the controller that suffers due to the low temp? Could i use some equipment to heat up the battery, or isolate i, so the wind doesn’t get to it?

It is between -7 and -22 degrees celcius.[/QUOTE]

The Batteries do not put out as much juice when it is cold. The controller is most likely seeing too much of a voltage drop and shutting down to save your batteries.

Warm batteries are happy batteries.

EV Ed

Sorry i did’nt reply.

I bought it like this. It is an erider xm4000li

:slight_smile:

Thanks for replys!