Trump could ruin the electric vehicles industry

He has previously proposed that he will dismantle the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and drastically lower - if not abandon altogether – environmental regulations.

I really hope this changes! I do agree with the government not behind them, the demand for electric vehicles will drop.

I would say that Elon Musk has more brains on his worst day than Trump has his whole life, so I doubt Tesla is in any danger. When the Tesla 3 is releases, people will look at cost to run for comparable vehicles. At that point the gas powered car will be left at the pumps…

Russ

I would say that Elon Musk has more brains on his worst day than Trump has his whole life,

Couldn’t be more true with that! Yeah that’s a good point, Model 3 is going to storm through the market regardless I think.

I do hope it doesn’t lead towards Tesla making a backwards approach because of this and playing it safe.

I don’t think Elon’s made a comment on this just yet, but will be good to see what he comes back with when he does.

I might be a bit of a contrarian here, but I think all of the high pitch shrills coming from the MSM and the anti-Trumpers is a bit ridiculous. Hopefully we don’t need a “safe space” here on this forum for delicate feelings of those who were astounded at the results of last weeks election.

That being said, what would be wrong with taking down the power of the EPA a notch or two? One doesn’t have to look to hard to realize that their emboldened position on things, over the last 8 years, has been more political than truly environmental.

After all, declaring CO2 a pollutant!?!?!? How absurd! A little investigation into the matter seems to conclude that the entire MMGW argument proposed by Al Gore and others has yet to yield any conclusive proof that we are all doomed.

Weren’t we supposed to be under water by now, all the glaciers everywhere melted and such?

I obviously see benefits in reducing our consumption of foreign oil and reducing our true pollution emissions. (not CO2)

For me, and many of the people I know that are considering an EV for their next vehicle, it’s about practicality and economy.

I and many of my friends don’t drive more than 30 miles a day. Heck, most of us drive around 10. We live in a small golf community and everything is pretty close. Truth be told, many of us (myself included) could probably get by just fine by replacing one of our gas guzzlers with a NEV or LSV.

How bout we try a truly semi-capitalistic approach here, not the crony capitalism Barry and his ilk have been practicing…

Failure: Barack Obama Blew $150 Billion to Increase Renewable Energy Generation by 1%

The tax incentives for EV’s that seemed to have the Big 3 Auto makers howling were not all that bad actually. Only problem was that the choices of EV’s that qualified were limited and expensive.

With a little tweaking, the incentives could be geared towards more affordable cars, thereby allowing more of the workaday folk to have an opportunity to experience what many here already know.

If the Big 3 want to play, they’ll need to produce cars that EV buyers want.

Get the States and Municipalities in on it and offer HOV land access, preferred parking in congested city areas, and tax breaks for companies putting in Charging Stations. How did Barry put it? Oh yeah, “A Nudge” in the right direction.

Ensure that alternative energy product manufacturers (solar, wind, hydro, etc…) have access to the same tax deductions the oil companies do.

Extend the tax incentives on solar panels, both PV and Thermal, the Home Batteries and Geo-Thermal Heat Pumps as well, to Home Builders. Give them a compelling fiscal reason to build Zero Net Energy Homes.

Just my $.02

BWTHDIK

I’m not a political expert, but the general worldwide shift is to push for EVs. Germany and Norway have already made this clear, so even America might not want to go against the current?

Besides, as mentioned above, EV’s are appreciated for their practical and cost-cutting benefits too. Tesla has made a name for itself (as have a few other brands) and even large manufacturers are investing in EV tech (some willingly, some reluctantly). As an industry, the automotive market is too invested to roll over now, whether or not the EPA gets slashed.

I dislike trump

I am getting in on this a little late. Trump or Anti-Trump aside, electric only or hybrids are not cost effective for everyone. I Have 2009 GEM and 2013 C-Max Energi. I am an engineer and design home use wind powered generator systems. I will not save enough on gasoline to return my GEM investment in 10 years. Same is true for $10,000 difference between C-Max Energi and C-Max Hybride. Owning an all electric car
is a personal choice, not a cost savings. Kind of like the 10% ethanol fuels was bad move, destroyed millions of non-auto engines and reduced mileage (HP) by 15-30% from non-ethanol fuels. EPA did not do us any favors. What electric car owners are not telling you is Tesla 2 @ 238 mile range is dependent on ambient temperature during charging, you can see 25% reduction, same goes for actual HP, only not as extreme. When gasoline prices get back to $4.00+ per gal and they will get there, electric makes more sense. For my intended use, electric is great.

1 Like

Even if Trump administration raises walls to slow down the American EV industry, it is unlikely he will ruin it. We also have to take into account the fact that there is only 1 real EV manufacturer in the US and much more in Europe and Asia. Renault-Nissan is the world leader in terms of EVs, even though the Renault Zoé is not sold in the US.
Many more models are coming and startups like Uniti Sweden are about to bring new models on the market. Our car is mainly designed for the European and Asian market but it can perfectly fit overcrowded American cities as well!

I agree due to the fact that average EU petrol prices are greater than $4.00 US per gallon at this time. European cities are much closer together making electric car ranges more practical. For long distance travel, EU has MUCH better passenger train system than USA. The USA needs to greatly expand it rail system to be cost effective for both passengers and freight.