Is Elon Musk the key to future EV success?

Elon Musk is the CEO of Tesla Motors and at this moment in time he is one of the most influential individuals in the industry. While many electric vehicle sceptics used the recent demise of Fisker and Better Place as a battering ram to criticise the industry, Elon Musk’s recent announcement of an affordable Tesla vehicle within four years has set the industry alight.

So, this begs the question, is the future of the EV market in the hands of Elon Musk?

To some degree yes but not his alone.Tesla proved the an electric car can cool and sexy and can make a profit which got the attention of the other manufacturers. Now many of the established car companies are pouring considerable resources into developing better and cheaper vehicles so I think the future of electric car market will be molded by many hands. That will be a good thing for the industry in the long run.

Hi Sugarmaker

I agree with your comments about spreading the power in the sector but at the moment it only seems to be Elon Musk who is willing to support the EV market in public - or should I say it is only his comments which make the news.

An “affordable” Tesla, expected in 2017, could be a major turning point for the industry.

Mark

An affordable Tesla would certainly be a large and welcomed boost to the industry, but the turning point might come sooner than that. The U.S. economy is showing signs of improving which may help boost new vehicle purchases. Sales in larger vehicles like trucks are increasing now, and while that does nothing for E.V.'s it does seem to indicate a willingness to spend again. The U.S. public has been lulled back to sleep by somewhat lower fuel prices but that is only a temporary reprieve. An upswing in the economy will increase the demand for fuel and drive the prices back up, bringing people back to reality. Higher fuel prices combined with more, better and cheaper E.V.'s will begin to turn the tide and hopefully an inexpensive Tesla will make it a flood.

It was interesting to note that the recent repayment of the US government loan to Tesla was made nine years early. What is more intriguing is the fact that under the terms of the loan, it would have been payable immediately had Elon Musk left the company. He has recently been suggesting the company would become a target of a larger cash rich company and indeed mentioned Apple.

Is the asset rich entrepreneur about to jump ship?

he mentioned the fact that Apple and other cash rich companies were interested in Tesla, but I don’t think that he will sell. He will probably keep it as an asset to borrow against or to fund some other form of transport like the hyperloop.

Hi FEUS

It seems that Elon Musk has a number of other up and coming ventures - he is looking into a new form of underground transport called Hyperloop. It is said this new technology is capable of reaching speeds of 14,000 miles per hour!

Will he jump ship from Tesla to spend more time with his other investments and ventures?

[quote=Editor;15873]Hi FEUS

It seems that Elon Musk has a number of other up and coming ventures - he is looking into a new form of underground transport called Hyperloop. It is said this new technology is capable of reaching speeds of 14,000 miles per hour!

Will he jump ship from Tesla to spend more time with his other investments and ventures?[/quote]

I think once the companies get their feet under them then he will go on to the next project. This time he will have backers that he didn’t before with 2 very successful companies under his belt, plus his previous success with paypal.

I have researched Elon Musk in detail and believe it of not I don’t think he is driven by money. I think he likes to push boundaries, do things that people said are impossible and the fact is if he sold all of his investments today he would be sitting on easily in excess of $5 billion - the truth is he doesn’t have to work again but chooses to do so.

When he got divorced in 2010 he was a billionaire on paper with his assets but was living off cash handouts of $250,000 a month from his “friends” to get by. He was asset rich but had no cash!

I know he isn’t driven by money, it’s just something to use to get to his next adventure, but I’d imagine he wants to get the companies to the point that they don’t need his direction and can run on their own after a bit to get on to the next thing.

Hi FEUS

I agree - I think that when his companies are self-sufficient he will move on. Perhaps one of the reasons why he has been so vocal about Tesla and EVs in general in the press of late, pushing Tesla to the next level?

Mark

[quote=Editor;15907]Hi FEUS

I agree - I think that when his companies are self-sufficient he will move on. Perhaps one of the reasons why he has been so vocal about Tesla and EVs in general in the press of late, pushing Tesla to the next level?

Mark[/quote]

I believe so. Once the X is announced and the $40K version is in the works to be announced about a year or so out, he’ll start work on the hyper loop. I’d also imagine he will want to make a few more announcements about what SpaceX will be venturing into in the not too distant future with the fully reusable rockets. (Still in the works)

Looking back over the last few weeks I think Elon Musk has started something of a new phase in the development of EVs. The press comment of late has never been more positive and things certainly look to be moving in the right direction.

yea, like the battery hot swap stations :flame:

It’s the kind of innovation USA used to be known for. Now a days it almost seems like people are scared to take a chance. looks like we finally have someone with money that is willing to do what it takes. Good for him!

Elon Musk is a mover and a shaker not just in the EV market - I cant wait to see what else he comes up with in the future.