Transmission Grave Error

Ok, my buddy made a grave error this week. Don’t ask how cuz it is embarrassing but it appears he has broken the transfer case/transmission of our 2002 GEM. Picture attached.
Any have any insight to cost of a new one or rebuild of the current one?

Thank in advance,

Looks like a broken input shaft. Less than $200 for a new one with bearings, seals and everything you need. Be sure to order the resilient bumper too.
Sometimes @Old_Houseboater has new ones for sale. If he doesn’t have one he will direct you to Call Richard Gallop at 352 787 2223 (Bill Bryant Dodge) and he can send one.
Rodney is a big help on this site so I would try to support him before calling Richard, but either way you can fix it .

Thank you Mr. Vern - already in contact with Rodney and looks like he is getting us setup. Everyone on this site is awesome. What a great community.

Thanks

At last, something broke that’s not my fault. :thinking:

@Inwo - LOL, technically none of it has been your fault, we just get in a hurry and don’t always listen. :slight_smile:
We still have not hooked up the new BMS, might be a little longer now that our GEM is out of commission.

He didn’t say it was your fault, he just said he had to blame it on you :wink: LOL

Ok spill it how do you break a imput shaft?

1 Like

Yeah, we have to know. I went out in my garage the other night and tried to do it just to see how it can be done and I can’t come up with a single successful method. You must share!

Ok, Ok -
Thanks to Rodney for all his help and as it turns out this is an output axle, not the input shaft.
@Mr.Vern - this is kinda your fault… LOL - JK
So my buddy got tired of waiting on gold wing shocks so he ordered some off the shelf baja shocks. They are about 4" longer than stock.
I was not there but I guess he had the GEM jacked up by the transaxle or something and then pushing down on the drivers front, I guess the pressure was just right and snapped the shaft.

Rodney has a new axle on the way to us and we should be back on the road this weekend.

Bahaha, I love how your buddy pullled a dumb dumb and you found a way to blame me. You and my wife would get along famously! LOL
I’m glad Rodney has you on the road to recovery.
I did attempt to install the shocks but found that I need to fab a bracket and I just don’t have time nor frankly a lot of patience for it. My buddy who is a mechanic at our golf course looked at it the other day and said he could knock it out no problem. I will get after it once I get back from vacation in a couple weeks.
You might want to get feedback from @grantwest because he has successfully done the upgrade and even posted a nice video on Youtube.
This may be my last post for a while. I obviously need to have my attorney draw up a slimy disclaimer that I can add to all my future posts before I say anything else that might incriminate or otherwise cause me liability. :wink:

LoL that’s a funny quote: and on a completely off topic , but sort of revelant subject. I saw this Home rebuild show yesterday and this Husband and wife were showing the home to this Home improvment show. The house was simply Amazing. The project kept growing and growing as it came out amazing. It took a year to complete and all the Un grateful wife could say to the tv host was. “My husband said it was only gonna take 9 months to complete and it lasted a year! LOL LOL, some lady’s Think their husbands are put on this earth to be whipped LOL LOL LOL.

1 Like

Its all about perspective for sure. I bought a nealy 4000SF house 3 1/2 years ago and stripped it to the studs in every room. Tore out 40’ of interior wall, raised a sunken floor. Flopped the walk in closet with the master bath and all the plumbing that entails, completely redesigned the kitchen and even furred out a wall in the kitchen because my wife didn’t want the fridge to stick out past the counters. 3 years and 1 day after closing escrow, I completed the final bathroom. I did it all by myself with just day labor help for the most part. When I tell people it took me 3 years to finish, my wife always says “you’re not finished, you still haven’t done the crown molding in the living room”. I love her to the moon, but she just doesn’t get it :). I tell her, the project is done and deployed, that’s an enhancement. LOL
Mike’s comment was in jest and I got a kick out of it. I’ve been blamed for everything my entire life and so it was fitting. LOL

It was in total jest - this was no one’s fault but our own :smile:

PS - I have literally 1 ton of tile in the garage waiting for me to remodel the master bath - been sitting there a year now, not a word from the wife. hehe

1 Like

Mike, maybe she doesn’t like the tile…

@Inwo @Mr.Vern @Old_Houseboater @grantwest

Just to let everyone know - Rondey got us all taken care of with an output shaft and instructions to replace.

Popped in the new one and replaced the gear oil (not much oil was in the housing to begin with) and we are off and running - super quiet now as well.

Also, BMS is up and running, 4.0V across the Volt array. 96V nominal and we are flying. We actually get tire squeal when we take off. With 17" Wheels and tires, we are running about 37mph on a flat with about 15/17 miles of range (calculated).

Thanks to all on the forum!!!

LOL - This was going down a slight grade, nothing crazy.

That’s going good. Make sure your motor can handle those RPMs. Rodney knows what kind of RPMs your spinning with your 17s and your transmission, hopefully he can tell you so you have a Idea how fast your motor is spinning. Ya just wanna be cautious how fast you spin it and for how long.

@grantwest
Yes, we fully expect to blow the motor in the near future - kinda the plan, we would like a bigger one anyway but if it ani’t broke, drive it like you stole it :slight_smile:

what motor do you have ?

The motor is a stock 5PH