To disassemble or not?

So I am working to restore a parts E2 into a road worthy machine (it is in pretty decent shape actually) but one thing that is bugging me is the amount of rust on the steel frame. I am debating whether I should do a full suspension disassembly to re-powder coat everything or if I should simply clean it all up in tact and spray with a coat of rust-converter and paint. Thoughts would be appreciated, I am just concerned about pulling it all apart.

Clean it up and paint it. Rotary wire brush in a drill will get 90%

I started into it last night, for the most part it is pretty much surface rust due to the powder coating failure. The shocks coating is failing also which will be a royal PITA to get cleaned up. I wire brushed the aluminum to get the oxidation off and will coat it with paint as well.

I wouldn’t paint the aluminum, but to each his own…

Coat of car wax on aluminum does a good job. If you clean it up real good use a coat of Dupli-Color clear from Advance Auto.

Before you put the wax on!

finally making some progress on the frame, wire wheeling most of everything to get the rust and oxidation off. I decided to pull the belly pan to get all of the frame. Since it is so wet up here in Washington I figured this will keep it in better shape for the long run. I am hoping to get the frame painted this weekend and at least the rolling frame back together.

been slowly making progress on the rust removal, man what a PITA. without dismantling all of the suspension and the brakes etc it is almost impossible to get everything so doing the best I can. maybe some year down the road I will pull it all apart and do it right with powder coating everything and whatnot but for now this will have to do and is better than letting it continue to rust. The biggest hassle has been removing the failed powder coating which especially on the aluminum windshield channel is a pain.

Do what the pro’s do when prepping classic car frames. Have it sand, glass bead, or walnut blasted…

I really do not feel like pulling it all the way down to the frame components, the correct way yes, but then I have to disassemble the steering, brakes etc. I am cleaning it up the best I can and then will rust convert primer it and paint.

When your done with rehabbing this rust bucket. You’ll have as much time/money, if you paid yourself $20 an hour. Plus… counting bandages, sandpaper, rust remover chemicals, primer, paint and [I]tetracycline shots [/I]to have bought a nice mint condition 2007+ Gem.

But, you’ll more fun doing it the your way?.. :faint: Have fun…

[quote=Rascal;28953]When your done with rehabbing this rust bucket. You’ll have as much time/money, if you paid yourself $20 an hour. Plus… counting bandages, sandpaper, rust remover chemicals, primer, paint and [I]tetracycline shots [/I]to have bought a nice mint condition 2007+ Gem.

But, you’ll more fun doing it the your way?.. :faint: Have fun…[/quote]

Still a long ways away from the costs of buying one that was ready to go with the mods I wanted done… Plus for me it really is about saying that I did it myself with the little touches that are all mine…

well made some progress over the last week, got most of the painting of the frame done with exception of the front cradle as I need to make some modifications and can do that after I get the cart back together. I decided to paint everything with metal primer and enamel paint to reduce corrosion from the rain up here.

slowly making progress on the restoration…

I like your progress. Good job!

Do you have one pair or two pairs of the taller tires? Although it may visually look better to put the taller tires on the back, I’m thinking it may be better to use them as the front two tires. You should get a higher speed out of your GEM with them on the front because the taller tires will “fool” the controller on your speed limit.

RWD

[quote=RWD;29054]I like your progress. Good job!

Do you have one pair or two pairs of the taller tires? Although it may visually look better to put the taller tires on the back, I’m thinking it may be better to use them as the front two tires. You should get a higher speed out of your GEM with them on the front because the taller tires will “fool” the controller on your speed limit.

RWD[/quote]

Oh no lol I have 4 of the new tires and wheels. I just don’t have them on right now up front because I am still working on the front suspension and differential.

Thanks for the thumbs up