Thundersky 12v Lifepo4 batteries review

I am thinking of using 4 of the 60ah or 90ah Lifepo4 batteries to make a 48v power pack to run a small light weight EV , before I part with some hard earned cash has any one had any experience of these batteries with regards to problems , life span and performance . Cheers Tom

[QUOTE=Microcar Tom;9662]I am thinking of using 4 of the 60ah or 90ah Lifepo4 batteries to make a 48v power pack to run a small light weight EV , before I part with some hard earned cash has any one had any experience of these batteries with regards to problems , life span and performance . Cheers Tom[/QUOTE]

Tom,

I’m using 38 160Ah Thundersky cells in my electric MG midget. You can check out the car at Home When I was looking for batteries many experienced EV people felt Thundersky batteries were good ones to get. About 5 years ago they had a bad name, but from what I’ve read, it was because some early users didn’t know much about charging and discharging them. Basically, the users screwed up the cells, and Thundersky wouldn’t replace them. I only have 1500 miles on them, but everything has worked as advertised. You’ll either need a BMS, or bottom balance the pack and be careful on charging them to the correct voltage. The people who bottom balance recommend charging your cells to 16 X 3.65 volts. (I beleive your 12volt batteries are 4 cells in series)Any extra and you could overcharge a cell. The older cells 2009 variety can handle 2000 charge/discharge cycles to 80% DOD. Newer cells now claim 3000 charge/discharge cycles to 80% DOD.

Frank www.electricmgmidget.com